Nectar what color is it in flow frame?

I am new to Flow Honey. I am seeing clear liquid in a few of the flow frames. Is that nectar?

Color depends on the flowers/season. But yes, that’s nectar that the bees are working on turning into honey. Look kinda like this?

1 Like

Hello and welcome to the Flow forum! :blush:

OK, now I know this is pedantic, but nectar doesn’t get into bee hives. A bee forages for nectar, swallows it, mixes it with a bunch of stuff including an enzyme called invertase in their stomach, and then returns to the hive. By the time they get home, it isn’t nectar any more, it is unripe honey.

So what you are seeing in @chau06’s Flow frames in that photo is unripe honey. It will be ripened by time, and bees in the hive fanning air over the frame surface to dehydrate it into fully ripe honey, at which point they will cap it. If your frames look like that, congratulations, you have some baby honey in there! :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

I fully agree with @Dawn_SD , and I don’t think it’s pedantic to call something what it truly is. It’s common for people to wrongly call unripe honey “nectar”. It’s similar to people saying (which I did for many years) that bees hatch, when they actually emerge. It’s the eggs that hatch.

1 Like

Another thought. If you are feeding them sugar syrup with the super on, the liquid in the frames would be colorless. Hopefully you aren’t doing that! :wink:

Thank you for your help and I understand better now. I will wait for the honey to ripen!

1 Like

Thanks for your help!

2 Likes

I stopped feeding them when I placed the flow hive box on top of the lower box. Thanks!

1 Like