Newbee's first day, on my first 'Trap-out'. Questions

Wow, now that was an exciting video to watch! The little hive I’m looking at is scraps compared to what you trapped. Thanks so very much for your contribution to this wonderful hobby. Cheers!

2 Likes

Hi Dee, by only using one frame of brood, there will be enough bees to look after that brood after a few hours of trapping the bees out. After a whole day, there will be more than enough. After that, there will be a gradual buildup of the colony in the box, hence a gradual decline in the shed population. This is the reason why SHB will eventually take over the population in the wall. This is assuming that SHB are in Noel’s area. It would be a good plan to treat the cavity with a pesticide at the same time as removing the hive.

Hi & thank you @Dusty, here is another video showing my trap out in better detail, I remembered about it last night.

cheers

3 Likes

That’s great Jeff. Very informative. I actually imagined the funnel on the other end of the hose, ie. with the wider base of the funnel over the hole under the shed, like a witches hat shape, with the tube attached to the narrow end. Would Noel need to do something like this to cover that exit…so basically perhaps even two funnels, one bigger to cover the current exit and then a smaller one at the other end of the hose? What do you think? I guess I’m trying to figure out how you might cover the sort of hole Noel has there, or a case where you have bees exiting a brick sized vent under a house or perhaps a longer crack like cavity like they do.

2 Likes

Hi Dan, going by Noel’s photos, I would fit the hose where the bees are exiting, even if I had to get a screw driver or chisel to open the hole up so the hose fits. Then block every other opening that the bees are likely to use with some sort of gap filler. Noel could have a hose, say 3 or 400mm long with the funnel on the end of that. The bees will exit the funnel & return to the normal entrance, which they will find blocked. After a short period of trying to get in, they will give up & then enter the hive to join the rest of their locked out clan. Noel will have to monitor the shed to make sure the bees haven’t found another opening, which does happen.

2 Likes

Hi Noel,

Is there any news on how this one ended up - if it has? Thanks.

1 Like

Hey Danno, the first cutout under the shed, the people weren’t cooperative in letting me come and go to check on it and wouldn’t get back to me when I’d call or message. They have pit bulls and I think were worried about dog liability more than bee liability. They said that they planned on cutting open the floor and would call me then. I thanked them and picked up my box. Still learning about the in’s and out’s :slight_smile: Thanks for asking!

3 Likes