OH MY! What are these?

Yesterday I cleaned out my beetle trap tray under the screen board adding fresh oil. This morning took a look and found 4-5 larvae dead in the oil. Any idea what these are?

Taking a tip from another photo, here is a close up of one of the larva. I live in Alabama, US

They look like wax moth larvae to me. Here is a photo to compare:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwirgqXOvoLOAhVEbSYKHTFBBeMQjRwIBw&url=https%3A%2F%2Fbeeinformed.org%2F2011%2F10%2F10%2Fwax-moth%2F&psig=AFQjCNHRVz4AUxlRTHwahyAhiy2m-vf9Yg&ust=1469119460532928

I thought so…did research after posting…not sure what to do next though…steps taken.

Did an inspection and did not see any ‘webs’.
Put screen over my cover vent hole and taped up the small hole in the cover often referred to as a second entrance. Cleaned the tray and replaced with fresh oil…

On inspection things seemed fairly normal I would think…I saw capped brood, larva…curled up so that’s bees I would think?

Is it possible only one moth gained access and the bees are cleaning out her larva…they are really small…

What should I do next? Very concerned!

Pour a glass of wine and enjoy your favorite show! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Wax moths are a fact of bee life. Strong colonies will deal with them by throwing out the wax moth larvae. You have seen the evidence. If the hives get weak, they may be in trouble, but right now, it sounds like they are in control - all is as it should be.

They are not bee larvae being thrown out, they look all wrong for that. Don’t worry, be happy! :wink:

2 Likes

Lol…don’t have wine handy …oh wait! Yes I do:sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Getting back to these…great advice Dawn…after a couple of days there were no more found in the tray…looks like the girls cleaned house nicely.

1 Like

or…SHB larvae? hard from photo, but what you said about size…

http://www.ent.uga.edu/bees/disorders/small-hive-beetle.html

Based on size you may be right. Thank you!

No problem, I found some in my compost last week…should add inspired (?) to look there because of @JeffH & video he made (posted on forum)

1 Like

The photo in that article is extremely helpful, thank you @Kirsten_Redlich! I have to admit, the wax moth larvae I have seen are smaller than that photo shows, but they are not as small the SHB larva. So based on @sweetnature’s photo, I agree with you, SHB is perhaps more likely. Even so, they are not going to be getting out of that oil tray, so the trap worked! Next hive inspection, it would be worth looking for adult SHB and consider using @JeffH’s methods for deterring them if you see any.

2 Likes

What I learned is the larva are larger than the beetles…I have seen SHB in the oil as well.

2 Likes

I suppose too, it depends on what stage (how old) larvae are when we spot them…

I’ve noticed that with Christmas beetle larvae, they are monsters! Whilst the Beetles themselves are big, their larvae are twice the length & very plump…

1 Like

Has anyone got experience with nematodes for SHB?