One brood box and two supers

Ahem… There is a way.
Hives by old old-timers for new oldtimers :grinning:

Berlepsch Ständer

and its further development:
Schweizerstock
unnamed

Getting to frames closer to the back wall is rather PITA but no lifting anything heavier than one frame is required. And if a hive is on stand, one doesn’t even need to bend.

Sorry for pictures guys. Photo cameras were rather novelty that time :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I’m not sure @JeffH is convinced though…

2 Likes

After nearly 170 years, it’s hard to improve on the Langstroth Hive.

1 Like

I dunno. Please forgive me, but the British National and WBC hives are pretty darn good, and not as heavy! :blush:

2 Likes

5 Likes

Great picture, but with one other possibility. For a short time, I think Flow was playing with brood boxes that had windows on the side too. So that may actually be a brood box. I think Frederick Dunn had one of these, but @Freebee2 or @KieranPI would be the experts who know the real truth.

1 Like

Hi Dawn, to my mind the British National & WBC hives fall into the category of Langstroth hives.

You might have a fight on your hands with the Brits about that! :rofl: I know what you mean though, but there are some subtle differences. First National hives and frames are a bit smaller and more square - makes the box lighter. Secondly, the boxes have a whole edge on opposing sides which is sturdy and designed for lifting. It is much easier to curl your fingers underneath and get a firm grip. Here is a link for anyone who is curious. BS National Beehive - Wikipedia

Of course, it may just be that when I was handling National hive parts, I was 20 years younger than I am now. Everything seemed a lot easier back then! :blush:

Maybe, but it looks like the queen excluder is below both of them. It could be a standard super with viewing window.

I didn’t watch the video though, I was only desperately trying to find a breakdown of a flow frame to see how bees can end up in the bottom channel.

1 Like

Hi @Wandjina, yes some people do use two supers to one brood box - while others need two brood boxes to one super. Suitable hive configurations depend very much on your local conditions, so for advice on this sort of question it’s always best to chat with local beekeepers.

That is easy to do on a Langstroth. I have a small wooden strip on mine and makes lifting a joy. I also adapted a Flow super to have a handle too (instead of removing the rear door to lift).

I posted photos above.

2 Likes

I saw them, thank you. Just posting another way to address this that I liked in the past.

1 Like

Often colonies work there way up filling with honey, a Flow Super allows you to harvest as soon as the honey is ready, having multiple Flow Supers will maximise storage, and some colonies can fill two at the same time.

1 Like

Hi Dawn, I also have large handles on some of my hives. I made sure that all the handles were adequate last time I restored boxes. It’s the concept of the removable frames in honey supers, as well as wood all around frames that I’m referring to. I’m confident that the first Langstroth hive’s dimensions were different to what we understand a “Langstroth hive” to be today.

PS you can find the 1852 patent online. While it’s too long for me to read, however I read down to the part where he describes the downside of only giving the bees top bars. It’s interesting to note that after such a long time, some folks are going back to using those top bars & possibly experiencing the same challenges as outlined in the patent application.

4 Likes

Being retro is fashionable these days Jeff, even with beekeeping.

1 Like

Interesting so many different opinions

1 Like

Hi Loki,

If you have a strong nectar flow and don’t have time to drain the Supers during the strong nectar flow, then 2 FlowHive supers is ideal.

I am on double brood box, and I plan to move down to single brood box when the nectar flow starts, and put the additional brood box above the super, allowing the brood to emerge. I am experimenting at the moment and can let you know my results at the end of the year.

1 Like

Thanks for your thoughts I will be experiment myself let you know how I get on