Paint /sealers- Best long lasting sealer for the red cedar hive

I have organoil that I was contemplating using but have concerns about how long it will last.

I’m considering painting the roof and the landing with house paint as the surface is more exposed.

Anytips on best products to use would be great.

Karen if you were anywhere else I would suggest finding someone to wax dip the hive for you. However in WA it is difficult to find someone to do it for a hobbyist. Sometimes RippleFarm Beekeeping, in Albany will hold a dipping day. But that is a long way from Margs.

I would stay away from the oils and Lanoguard as they will need to be reapplied every 6-12months.

The cedar is very weather resistant and can have a long life with out treatment.

Painting with a good quality paint, it can be a clear marine varnish, is a good alternative. If prepared and applied correctly you should get 10 odd years before needing to do any touch ups.

Wax dipping will give you 15+ years.

What ever you do painting the roof is a must IMHO.

From the WAAS Bunbury training apiary

This photo shows a 3-4 year old wax dipped cedar FH2 on the right, the super between the bottom and flow super is a ripplefarm wax dipped pine super. There is a 3-4 years untreated red cedar hybrid super sort of center between the two colour hives.

Thanks so much Adam- did I do the 101 training with you in Margs recently?

I’ll paint the roof with external house paint and use marine varnish for the external surfaces.
Hot dipping would be good but Albany is too far away for me.
Great advice, cheers Karen

Yes, I was there with Helen and Tom.

1 Like

adam you forgot to mension that the flow hive 2 and flow hive 2+ are difrent timber flowhive 2+ is the only hive made of Western Red Cedar wile all the other flowhives are made of Araucaria Sustainably sourced timber - Flow Hive AU

Unless things have changed, I had the impression that all the hives were available in WRC, or Araucaria, depending on the customer’s choice.

For what it’s worth, I’d be treating the Araucaria wood with copper naphthenate before assembling the hives. Soak a bit extra up the end grains. I’ve still got an Araucaria bottom board out the side that belonged to a former client. Dry rot hit it pretty hard at the front, so therefore I’d be soaking that area really well.

This photo tells the story.

2 Likes

darn that hive going to need the jeff tlc treament wer thare bees or just the hive if it had bees might need to quoretine the bees just to be on safe side

Definitley looks like its seen better days.

I’m not sure what you mean. A former client brought the whole hive to me because no more bees were coming & going out of the entrance for a couple of months. That’s the only thing this bloke understood. Bees coming & going out of the entrance. Also if he can harvest honey, or not.

i see by jeff tlc i mean jeff tender loveing care

pps https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dlkBb-N7QY fast forword to the 2:48 mark it will tell you the wood that each hive is avalable in

Hi Wayne, I watched it, I agree with what you say.

I gave that bloke plenty of tlc, which wasn’t appreciated. We finished up telling him to never call us again, which is a first for me, after 50 years of working for myself, dealing with people.

3 Likes

indeed so hows the buzz going looking forword to a good 2024 seson i am hopeing the marri and jarra will have a good flow next year

1 Like

Next time we chat Jeff, I’m going to ask who that was. Pretty sure I know already :thinking::smiley:

1 Like

You guessed correctly Al.

I’ve gone a bit slack lately, I think it’s all in the mind. I went to check on my main site yesterday, on account that I haven’t been there for a month. I wanted to make sure that no cows knocked any hives over etc. I found honey ready to rob, but I thought I’ll do it in the new year, hopefully with a different frame of mind.

It has been a very busy year, I’ve been telling myself that I’m burnt out. Once I get past that mind set, I’ll be right.

2 Likes

I’ve had an indifferent year as well Jeff. Starting with a total knee replacement, where no bee work gets done, to snowboarding holidays, definitely no bee work was done, to a new grandchild, more doting and no bee work! I have to move about 10 hives as well, which is a total pain. (From stings!) Do you have a stress free way of doing it?
I’ve also found timber bought from Bummings is totally inferior and rubbish. Making more boxes adds to the workload. Then I found termites had invaded my house. After 4 months I’m nearly finished the repairs.
But, having said all that, I’ve had a good year honey wise, so I’m thanking my lucky stars, and the weather gods here on the Sunshine Coast.
(Locally known as Camelot):blush:

I am a beginner in the learning phase of Bee Keeping. I do not own any equipment so I apologize for any “stupid” question that might come from my novice brain……
First
Happy New Year !!
Thank you for accepting me into this forum !!
Second
In keeping with the thread, here are a few questions

1. Would it affect the hive if the roof was covered in copper/metal or single ply commercial rubber membrane ?
    Thinking heat.
  2. Would coating the boxes with wax via hand application instead of dipping be a good idea and would it protect the boxes longer than without ?
  3. Regarding painting the exterior, has anyone used “restore” paint ?
    Thanks for your advice in advance !!
1 Like

same to you to all so no need to feel sorry for syupid questens im shure you find a welth of knolage on the forum