Parasites and roughing inside a brood chamber?

For anyone that lives in an area with parasite and/or pathogen problems have you ever considered roughing the inside of your brood chamber so the bees smooth it out with propolis to see if that helps with pathogen loads and improves colony health?

I’m browsing an article on traditional Kenyan log hives and this comment is made:

For example, colonies in Log hives may exhibit the lower parasite and pathogen loads, since previous studies found that bees in hives with rough interiors are more likely to coat the walls with propolis, which has known antimicrobial properties, resulting in reduced pathogen loads (Simone-Finstrom and Spivak 2012; Simone-Finstrom et al. 2010; Simone et al. 2009). Colonies with reduced parasite and pathogen loads may be less stressed, resulting in lower absconding rates, thereby also increasing the amount of honey available for beekeepers (Fletcher 1978; Hepburn and Radloff 1998).

2 Likes

Our hives are smooth but notice they have a waxy coating now on the inside. They must do it for a good reason. It is clear so I’m sure it is not propolis though.

1 Like

Similar here. I wonder if deliberately roughing the brood box would make a difference to how they finish the inside though.

3 Likes

I wonder if it is going to work for strains of bees that produce little propolis in general. With italians I have now I hardly can collect any propolis at all. Caucasians from my previous experience were slapping such patches on any crack that it was possible to collect about ping-pong size ball of propolis ater single hive inspection.

1 Like

I’ve also come across this (USA article and research)

And this

2 Likes