Pesticide and Herbicide damage to bees

There has been heated discussions in the Beekeeping communities regarding pesticide and herbicide applications. To me, pesticide use and the harm they cause are no-brainers. But most people don’t realize that herbicide toxins are carried back to the hive on bees feet and builds up in the wax. It may not kill immediately but over time it builds up in the wax and is harmful. The link below may start discussions about pesticides. Does anyone have information about herbicides?

Specifically about wheat but if it affects us humans this much it can’t be good for bees

1 Like

Our local Beekeeper Association has warned us never to use Round-up (herbicide) as it is deadly to bees. I have been spreading the word within my neighborhood and FaceBook. Has anyone else been told not to use it and that it hurts the bees?

Happy reading.

1 Like

I still use a herbicide but very very rarely, onion weed is an issue in my yard so I apply with gloves and never spray. Pesticides are a no no but there are other methods for controlling pests, such as pest oil sprayed on my citrus trees at night. Living in an urban environment you have very little control over your neighbours, just hope for the best. Fortunately, honeybees go for the big ticket items like flowering trees which humans struggle to reach with a spray can so for the most part your bees are pretty safe. If you live in a farming area, this is a different story. I regularly hear of massive bee kills cause the farmer decides to spray his crops and not tell the beekeeper.

I have one lemon tree and one lime. White flies are a problem here. I mix a little Dawn dish detergent with a little Listerine Mouth wash and put it in a spray bottle with water to fill. I spray it on the trees when they have no flowers and the white flies disappear. If there are buds I hand wash each leaf rather than spraying. So I decided to try it on my Nun Orchid that had scales…they died in place. At first I thought it didn’t work but then I ran my hand over them a couple of days later and they just fell off. Listerine by itself may be used on the roots of orchids and I knew soap water keeps sap sucking insects off plants. From what I have read neither one is considered a pesticide so I mixed them together and it is very effective.
*Note: This was my own experiment. I have never seen bees on those 2 trees so I felt comfortable using the concoction.

1 Like

Very interesting especially on page 3 where it states:

“B. Rationale: This acute oral study is scientifically sound however, it is a non-guideline study and does not fullfill an OPP guideline requirement.”

And they only did oral testing! Why did they not test the build up levels in the wax? Maybe it was something they did not want published. What would the effect be on brood?

I had no idea! We are poisoning ourselves, our children, and the world…for what?!

So that we may continue to live longer and healthier lives than ever before in the history of mankind.

The chemical breaks down.

Millions of bees died in Canada due to spray on crops:

http://www.ewao.com/a/1-37-million-bees-dropped-dead-after-farms-in-ontario-canada-sprayed-neonictinoids-on-their-gmo-crops

It is so sickening.

It’d be nice to see some beekeepers grow a spine and simply stop supplying bees to these producers who will not stop using these pesticides. Why risk your bees for someone who doesn’t care about them? I guarantee a producer who can’t get bees delivered will change their procedure in one season or less. But as long as beekeepers do nothing their bees will keep dying. Why wait for the governments to ban them when you can just black list farmers who use them. Put those farmers out of business or change their practices.

1 Like

I completely agree with you adagna. Their focus is nothing but profit.

If only. That would essentially put the almond crops in California completely out of business as those crops are sprayed while bees are out during the day (even when asked not to do so). Since those almond crops are largely how people make their money in the beekeeping industry in the US, the result likely would be very few commercial beekeepers.

There were no honeybees in the Americas until it was colonised by Europeans, so despite all the drama, the Americas are still ahead in the game. Try to see the bright side.

I often wondered, why don’t the almond growers keep their own beehives?
Why do they pay the expense to have bees shipped from Florida, NC, and Georgia when there are beeks in California? Then they could kill off their own bees and suffer the consequences. The less semi-truck shipped bees, the less spread of diseases and pests across the country.
It is the backyard hobby beekeepers that will save havens for the honey bees.

It’s an agricultural monoculture there. So basically as soon as the trees are done blooming it’s a food desert for the bees. They would starve to death shortly after almond season. For them to have their own hives they would have to diversify their crops/orchards to support a year round blooming pattern to support the bees.

Hi every one. I am a new member here. I need your help about a problem I faced. in about 20 days about 80% of my bees disappeared. this is winter here, in Iran. CCD could not be happened. I am wonder if pesticide poisoning happened. I really need to know what happened to my lovely bees. Also i would like to know is it possible to message members here individually?!
thank you in advanced. i am looking forward to hearing from you guys.