Pictures of my hive modification

Today I had a lot of fun modifying my hive. All I have left to do before beeday is seal the hive with tung oil.

Front and back of the full hive (stand, brood box, super, roof)

In the pic below you will see the hive stand with only the bottom board. In the pic there are 6 modifications: (1) a metal entrance reducer that doubles as mouse protection, (2) shelf on the back side of the hive to hold honey jars, (3) the shelf is removable and the shelf supports also allow you to hang frames while working with the hive, (4) bowls I will fill with oil around each hive leg to deter ants, (5) nail board to deter skunks and racoons, and (6) I added an oil tray to the bottom board for beetle control.

The bottom board and stand

The oil tray partially pulled out (I plan to fill this with mineral oil or soapy water)

The shelf removed with frames hanging from the support

Closeup of oil moats (I plan to fill these with mineral oil)

Nail board to deter skunks and racoons. Supposedly having your hive off the ground acts as one deterrent as the verments don’t like to be stung on their belly and the nail board acts as an additional deterrent.

Closeup of metal entrance reducer

At the top of the hive I have 2 more mofications. (1) A mesh cover for the inner cover to hopefully keep out wax moths and keep bees out of the attic, (2) I cut a hole in the roof section for better ventilation during the hot central Texas Summers (this was also covered in screen to keep critters out).

Two pics of mesh cover for inner cover. In the first pic there is a piece of tile I am using to weigh down the mesh cover. I might take off the mesh cover in the winter and just the tile to cover the feeder hole.

Two pics of the ventilation hole in the roof from both sides of the hole. I was using a paddle bit to make the hole and I accidentally hit a roof screw, which really messed up what would have been a clean hole.

Comments:

• The moats are going to fill up with water when it rains and leaves in the fall. I think I will have to add some sort of umbrella for them.
  • My stand is wide, and I worry I might find it annoying to work with the hive without being able to get up close to the side of the hive. BUT, the stand is wide enough for 2 hives, which I might like in the future.
  • I used a pallet underneath the hive because I thought it would be easier to level the pallet.
  • Like many people I had to move the access latch up 1/4" so that the panel would pull out.
  • Like many people I had to loosen up the flow frame access panel by narrowing two of the box joint fingers.
6 Likes

Your setup looks amazing.
Regarding your bottom beetle tray. I saw the dimensions on the tray. Does that fit perfectly in the flow bottom board or is it a little short? A tray I wanted to add was 12.5 x 20.5 x 1 and yours is only 17.5 inches long.

Thanks for your help!
Diane

Actually it was too big in all dimensions. The rim of the pan was too thick, the pan was a bit too long, and barely too wide. In order to get it to fit, I had to disassemble part of the bottom board and use a router to take out some material.

If you look long enough, you might find a pan that fits perfectly, but, I went to Walmart and picked one that was the closest fit. Amazon probably has something that will work, but, I worried I’d order it, wait a few days, and find that the dimensions were not what I expected.

Another poster suggested coating the plastic tray that comes with the kit with petroleum jelly, which might work just as well as a pan full of oil.

I’m going to use Lime dust since oil tends to get gross after about a week. I just need to find a tray that will fit. I haven’t gotten my wood from Flow yet so I’ll have to wait to get those dimensions.

Thanks so much! I’ll start looking at different dimensions on trays.
Diane

Beautiful piece of craftsmanship! Wow, just wow! Like a Hilton for bees, really. :smile:

1 Like

Speaking of Hilton for bees, check out the OBHH (Original Bee Hive Hilton) that I have designed for my native bees. Considering getting a patent for it. My bees live live in luxury. My honey bees will have a surprise for them too when I finally get my Flow Hive.

3 Likes

ROFL! Perfect! I love it!! :smile:

1 Like

Nice one.[quote=“lhengst, post:1, topic:5337”]
My stand is wide, and I worry I might find it annoying to work with the hive without being able to get up close to the side of the hive.
[/quote]
If you move your hive to the right edge you should be able to work quite comfortably. You will face that long side of the hive when you take or remove frame as frames run parallel to the long side. When the second hive comes if it sits close to the left edge you will have good access to it as well. Your frame holder battens could be moved so the right one sits on top the right box edge.