On April 20th I bought four nice frames chock-full of brood and bees from a local beek, to help fluff out my tiny survivor hive. When I checked on these hardies I saw no eggs or young brood and a dwindling patch of capped brood on two frames. The queen was fat, slow and clearly faltering - ending up sitting flatly on the top bar of a frame, surrounded by attendants who looked as if they were trying to slap her awake. I guillottined her with my hive tool, and was so glad I had new eggs and larvae to introduce right away!
Since the new frames were so full and the beek gave me more than I asked for, I decided to put two in that hive and start another one on the other side of my yard. The weather today is cloudy, but about 68F and no wind, thank goodness, so I had a chance to check on their progress just now.
I counted 6 capped queen cells plus 2 charged cups in one, and 4 capped queen cells in the other
This makes the 8th day since the earliest time they’d have started these, so in about another 8 I should have emerging queens!
Here’s a good read for this situation: