Thanks for the response. I don’t have pics of the frames today. The bees were a bit agitated so I was trying to be in the hive as little as possible.
My queen is an Italian queen from a relatively local and well-respected apiary.
I currently have a deep and two mediums on the hive - the deep and first medium are fully drawn and the top medium is newer and has about half the frames drawn with comb. The queen had previously been laying in the bottom two boxes pretty normally.
I noticed last week that there seemed to be fewer frames of honey and/or less honey on the tops of the brood frames, so I attributed the lack of queen laying (since I saw her) to dearth, which wouldn’t be surprising given the temps have been over 100 several weeks in a row. I fed them some pollen patty and sugar water and they immediately devoured it, so I’ve replenished regularly over the past week.
The first medium box (in the middle of the 3 boxes) is filled pretty well with honey and nectar. The bottom box (the deep) also had a lot of nectar and pollen, but I noticed that much of it has been placed in the old brood cells. The empty brood cells that aren’t filled with nectar or pollen appear to be in great shape. The bees have polished them and they appear to be ready for new brood. No signs of moths or anything like that.
I didn’t see any obvious signs of mites on the bees, and I haven’t seen any signs on the bottom board. The only thing I’ve seen a little of is SHB, but I only saw one today, so I wasn’t concerned.
The only other “different” thing I’ve noticed in the past month was that there were more drone cells (not a ton though) and a few empty queen cells at the bottom of a few frames. None of the queen cells have ever had an egg (I checked closely). I only saw one queen cup left today and it was also empty.
My best guess at this point is that something Is up with the queen. If she’s just not producing, it’s unclear why the bees didn’t try to replace her, but I’ve read that sometimes it happens.
Unless someone else has a reco, I think at this point, given that there are no eggs or larvae and very few capped brood cells left, my best option is to requeen. Unfortunately, I have only one hive, so I don’t have the option to put in a frame with brood to see if that helps.
Any other suggestions are definitely welcome!