Question about feeding in brood box then adding flow

Hi, I fed my brood box sugar syrup over winter, added the flow mid spring, it is filling up… my question is; will the bees transfer sugar syrup from the bottom brood boxes up into the flow? Will this effect the quality of honey that I attempt to Tap soon??

1 Like

If you fed your bees over winter and then stopped, that food source would have been consumed during the spring build-up. If it is filling up now then that will be nectar coming in so nothing to worry about.

1 Like

If there are spare stores in the brood box yes they will. I added dye to my syrup one year and sure enough it was in the supers.

2 Likes

Great experiment:

I remember when no one believed me lol…

1 Like

The bees are constantly moving their stores around, so easy to see this happen with the Flowhive.

1 Like

Yes. You can try this when there isn’t a massive flow on. Ie when there isn’t much income. Move full or fullish frames to the outside of the box and replace with empty ones.

Yes I have not fed since the start of spring., looking in the observation window the liquid looks clear, so I was thinking this is sugar syrup.

I know that you should not fed sugar syrup through the top of the flow super… but it could be possible that I have over fed the brood prior to spring and now they are relocating it? I do have 2 brood boxes underneath, guess the worst case is the first harvest might be a waste.

Just eat it. The next lot will taste that much better

2 Likes