Recently split a hive but not going too well

Could really do with some help please. I have recently split what I thought was a strong flow hive and placed five frames of brood honey and pollen into a new flow hive brood box. We introduced a new caged queen and after 3 days released her from the cage. Unfortunately whilst going through the hive I dropped a frame of capped brood and honey and now we can’t find the new queen. Also on further inspection we seem to have quite a bit of small hive beetle larvae. My question is can I cut out the infested comb or just remove them completely and also would I be able to add a five frame nuc to try and strengthen the hive again to try and fight off the hive beetle
Thanks in advance for any advice

Hi Moby, you probably put the split in the same yard, which will result in a lot of bees returning to the original hive, which will leave the brood vulnerable to hive beetle strike. Dropping that frame wouldn’t help either.

Yes you can clean out the infested comb, plus any dead bees on the floor. Instead of adding a five frame nuc, you can donate a lot of nurse bees, minus the queen from your other colony. Shake bees from 3 or 4 brood frames onto a sheet. The older bees will return to their hive, leaving nurse bees behind. Then after about 5 minutes, place the new hive entrance adjacent to the cluster of bees. The bees will march straight in. More will return to the original hive, however leaving enough behind to help defend against the hive beetles.

You want to make sure that the frames the bees are not clustered on don’t contain brood or pollen.

If the new queen died, you might consider letting the colony make a new one by making sure that there is new worker eggs, or very young worker larvae in a new frame of brood that I’d suggest you add, unless the colony has already started to make new queens in the original frames.

Thank you so much for advice. Can’t believe how much joy and heartbreak these little bees can bring. I suppose the heartbreak part is mainly down to me being so unexperienced. In hindsight, I do think that I split the hive too early. I’ve just checked both hives and the hive that we split from is already flourishing and the bees are starting to draw comb on the new frames. What a beautiful sight! On checking the new hive I spotted the queen she was most probably thinking I need to keep away from this idiot. I also removed alot of the shb larvae. This afternoon i am going to do what you suggested Jeff. I was also told to move the remaining 4 frames in the new hive to one side take out empty frames and fill the void space with a cardboard box to reduce size of box. What are your thoughts on this please. As always this site is so helpful in nurturing us new bees along the road of beekeeping :+1:

You’re welcome Moby, I like the idea of moving the 4 frames to the side, but not the idea of reducing the size of the box. Apart from these few chilly days, spring is here & with the help of that new queen, plus emerging brood, that colony will need those frames you were advised to remove. What I do suggest is to use a hive mat, plus reduce the entrance until the nights start getting warmer.

I don’t think you split the hive too early. I don’t think you can split a hive too early at the start of spring. It’s better to be too early, rather than too late. The bees have a long season ahead in order to rebuild.

Just remember those things I mentioned. Hive mat, & reduce the entrance.

1 Like

Thanks Jeff will definitely take and carry out your all your advice. I think using the cardboard box was just for a while until the hive strengthens and the replace the box with empty frames. Don’t know what we would do without this forum.

1 Like