Ripe uncapped and capped frames in a flow hive?

@Dunc If you look at this topic I started earlier about harvesting you will see my current setup. I’ve currently got the standard flow hybrid - 3 flow frames in the middle and 2 standard frames on each side. If you are making your own super I would recommend putting your flow frames all to one side. This being said, keep in mind you will likely need to lift the super at some point so it will impact weight distribution.

In the flow hybrid the spacing isn’t right you end up with gaps on each side of the regular frames and the inner side of the super, which the bees often start to bridge with comb. I haven’t measured but I’m adamant if the 3 flow frames were arranged to one side you would be able to fit 5 standard frames in a super.

In relation to how they were capping, the flow frames and regular frames in the hybrid super were capped. The flow frames in the flow super are the ones that are uncapped or so little is capped it isn’t worth mentioning.

Previously, before I put the hybrid super on, I had removed one of the flow frames in the flow super and was rotating a brood frame through that. I had no issues with burr comb. I have noticed that the bees seem to prefer building burr comb between standard frames preferentially to between flow x standard frame or even flow x flow frame. This isn’t to say you won’t get any but I visually notice less.

1 Like