Robber Bee's Helllp

Bummer you called my bluff Dawn. I can’t really draw.

I tried my best: does this illustration make any sense?

It can be further improved by placing a couple of entrance reducers as normal in the entrance, one on each side to leave an opening in the centre of the entrance

4 Likes

That might work. I haven’t used anything like that myself, so you would have to try it and see. :blush:

1 Like

My suggestion above was mainly as a quick fix for anyone wanting to put on a robbing screen really quick, without having to make a frame for one, though I see no reason why it couldn’t be used on a longer term. Works same principle as any robbing screen.

The one I’m currently using is not much more complex than that, but you have to lift the brood box to install it. It can be stapled to the box too.

Same piece of mesh the width of a brood box, by 12cm or so. I have a slatted rack, so I hold one wide end of the mesh screen between the slatted rack and brood box, and the other end of the mesh is just left hanging below the landing board. I do not fix with staples so if I want to adjust the entrance, I just lift the screen from the bottom. My entrance is reduced to around 10cm in the centre most of the time.

This one stopped my robbing pronto when I noticed it, so I left it there.

5 Likes

Pushpins are great if the screen needs anchoring and you need to still adjust easily :pushpin:

3 Likes

I like the simplicity of your robbing screens. I have to give it a go.

1 Like

Thank you all for your help and I have followed through and made 2 DIY’s that you suggested.
This morning it seems to have died down heaps and my bee’s seem to be holding their own now.
Thank you

2 Likes

Thanks for the update Janet, I would leave them in place till the hive is so strong it can defend itself. Don’t put the super on till the hive is ultra strong and well able to defend the extra space.
Cheers

1 Like

Hi Pete, one of my strong hives is constantly being robbed. Yes they defend themselves, but a lot of bees die, and a lot of their time is wasted defending. Why not leave the screen there permanently? What harm can it do?

I removed mine because I’m having a flow, but I have to put it back on (as Dawn suggested to me sometime ago), possibly something similar to the ones above so the bees can still get rid of their rubbish.

1 Like

Hi Peter, sorry about the late reply, I have a funeral to deal with.
Thank you, I will

1 Like

There is no reason to do away with the robbing screen and it will do no harm providing there is a way for the bees to remove debris from the hive, so if they can remove a dead bee from inside. A well thought out swarming screen won’t stop the bees from the hive coming and going. It is about confusing the robbing bees. They tend to attack a weaker hive normally because it is more vulnerable and more likely to happen if the flow of nectar has stopped. Reducing the entrance will be a big help.
Hope that helps.
Cheers

2 Likes

Hi all, my apologies about my silence for a while, I had to lay my daughter to rest, suicide.
I am finally rid of the robbers and now see my bees bearding which is a good sign?

1 Like

Bearding means that there are plenty of bees. Yes, usually a positive sign. :wink:

Really sad to read of your loss Janet.
I have no problem in seeing bearding on my hives, it generally means an increase of bees in the hive which is a good sign. It is also sometimes a signal that the bees might benefit from an extra super or that all the frames are full of honey and need extracting. It can also mean the the temperature in the hive is getting high from the extra bee numbers so some will move outside to help with temperature control. Giving the hives better ventilation by adding a roof vent at each end of the roof can help.
Cheers

2 Likes

Thanks Peter,
This is such a learning curve lol.
Janet

Lots of experienced bee keepers on this forum who are happy to help with issues and advice Janet. There is a lot to learn and usually at a faster pace than we would like, but that is bee keeping. :smiley:
Cheers

1 Like