Round-up and bee deaths - Monsanto

Round-Up is still branded as a Monsanto product here in Australia but either way as to who is manufacturing it I regard them as two peas from the same pod. There attitude is like most drug companies, all about making a profit at any cost to to the environment.
It has been proven as a cause of cancer and harmful to bees but each to their own way of weed control and personal protection from such a deadly product. The sooner that it looses favor the better for everyone.
Cheers

Agreed Jeff, probably because they donā€™t have a job, a mortgage, house, hairbrush or soapā€¦
:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Iā€™m not into excessive tree hugging Skegā€™s but enjoy the variety of trees we have, I have a roof over my head and have soap for my monthly wash, so I wonder which rung of the ladder Iā€™m on mate?:laughing::laughing::wink:

There probably are serious tree huggers that donā€™t fall into that category, Iā€™ve seen the ones youā€™re talking about on tv. I donā€™t think Iā€™m a tree hugger, however I have hugged the odd Bunya tree on occasion.

I like to think that all of my home-grown produce is organically grown. Therefore I avoid any chemicals on & around my garden.

A bloke told me the other day that he doesnā€™t grow ginger for himself because he can buy a jar of it crushed for only a few dollars. He ā€œdoesnā€™t get itā€.

I often see sweet potatoes for sale for a dollar a kilo. I ignore that & never think of all of my wasted time & effort just to save a few dollars.

1 Like

Once again I agree Jeff, store bought food is of no comparison to home grown. People often forget the environmental cost of transport and packaging. Seeing organic goods from other states and countries makes me cringe. Like you I grow, or at least try to grow, as many fruit and vegetable crops as possible and plant at least 10 native tube stock plants on my block monthly to bring my small piece of land back to a self managing ecosystem it once was for myself, my children and the local fauna. I would prefer not to use glyphospate and am reducing the amount with an aim of stopping altogether but until thenā€¦

2 Likes

Hi @Sharon_8. You made me giggle with your suggestion on how to do a field.
For weeds between tiles or hard to get to areas, I use a blow torch with a long handle. Works beautifully, but costs gas.
Wandering Jew and farmers friends always get hand weeded.

I have no doubt that my bee would not enjoy to have my solution sprayed on them, but they are not effected if the weeds and grass under and near the hive is sprayed for weed control and for SHB which works for me here.
It is great to here that councils here are phasing out round-up, it has now been banned in some countries in Europe. Iā€™m thinking Bayer paid a fortune to buy a lemon.

1 Like

I thought Round-Up was all natural: All the ingredients can be obtained right here on Earth.

Yes indeed, and so is ā€œhuman natureā€ :smiling_imp::money_mouth_face::lying_face::pleading_face::thinking::wink:

2 Likes

Sadly what mankind has made is not always right for the environment or for mankind. Obviously Round-Up is produced on this planet Earth, as was/is Agent Orange, Napalm, Mustard Gas and other nasties. Round-up is a chemical made compound Ed.
Fortunately in the developed world products made by chemical products are for one reason or another being banned from use. 3rd world developing countries will be slower to realize the harm that some chemicals can do to the environment and those that use that sort of product.
There is already whole countries in the world that have responded to the science, In Australia there is authorities that are no longer using round-up after they are being sued by employees that have cancer and other medical issues and the courts have found in favor of the victims. But I am sure the use of such chemical will still be used, but some either because of lack of knowledge or people simply couldnā€™t believe a chemical company could do no wrong.
Of course the chemical companies, as since time began, will deny any harm can come in any way in using their poisons and toxins. There is heaps of information that says the opposite.
Cheers

1 Like

We must be doing something right:

Iā€™m not disputing that we as humans are advancing in making a better world for us to exist in. Good science and research is helping in knowledge to see where we can improve on, or correct mistakes we have made previously as well as confirming advancements.
We are a bit slow sometimes in accepting what was sold to us as ā€˜the next big advancementā€™ only to find that science is proving otherwise. Thatā€™s my 20 cents worth of my opinion, but hey, I donā€™t believe all the sales pitches provided by vested interests, Iā€™m too old to swallow that pill too fast. :thinking:

1 Like