Screened bottom boards open?

Nah, don’t be silly :laughing: being silly is just good fun! I was taking things too literally and wanting to make sure the point was understood. All good​:+1:

2 Likes

@ Joshua_Cromarty, of cause bees will adapt, but will they produce as much honey, or even breed as well in a less than ideal environment, eg in a watering can. See if they have to work harder to keep the hive at an optimal temperature, then the more energy they will need, so hence they will need to consume more produce (that is honey) to do so. That means, that there will be less honey available to be harvest. Me, I want the most honey, that I can get, and that’s achievable, by making the life of my bees easier, then so be it.
But hey what would I know, I’m just an opinionated apiarist. IN YOUR OPINION.

So the question arises “what are optimal conditions”?
If the NSW study showed a 15% increased yield with a screened bottom board, would that not possibly indicate that this particular environment - one the bees are incapable of naturally producing and thereby adapting to - represents either optimal or at least not suboptimal conditions? Perhaps this sort of screen which protects from parasites while allowing additional ventilation actually promotes a favourable hive atmosphere and frees additional workers to forage? And perhaps these conditions are peculiar to temperate NSW climes and will not be reproducible wherever you live. Point being, science was done. Results can be disputed but not without more, better science.