Honeyflow.com | FAQ's |

Sealing a Classic Flow Hive

I bought a Flow Hive Classic Auraucaria 7 Frame.
I have read that you can use exterior house paint to seal the hive. What else can you seal the hive with if you do not use exterior paint. Please provide the name of the sealer.

Thank You
Bill

Welcome to the forum Bill and a good question.
When I make new boxes I paint the out side and the top and bottom edges with a good quality water based exterior grade house paint and apply 3 good coats and don’t use a primer/sealer paint. When the paint is dry it is waterproof. Years ago I used enamel paint (oil based paint) but found it brittle when prizing the boxes apart with a hive tool and the paint chipped.
After 6 to 8 years and the appearance of the hive needs a recoat I apply 2 coats and it is good for another 6 years.
Cheers Bill

Peter,
Can you use something besides exterior paint, if so what brand product do you use?
Thanks,
Bill

For me, I used Intergrain UltraDeck, its still looks good after 5 years

Did you use this on a Flow Hive?

Thanks

Bill

For the climate where I live I paint my hives in white paint to have a minimum of heat build up in the hive from the sun. I use Taubmans brand paint but doubt you could buy it as it is an Australian made paint but am sure you could by an equivalent. It depends on your climate about an alternative, some folks treat the wood ware with a stain or an oil but it would cause an issue for me here.
Find your local bee group and ask what they use on their hives and how long it lasts between treatments.
Cheers.

Yep, however it is a customised super made from pine. So not the Cedar variety… yours is pine so same deal.

1 Like

Is the Intergrain Ultradeck similiar to Thompson’s Water Seal?
Bill

Don’t use Thompson’s Water Seal. Nasty product, and doesn’t protect that well. :thinking:

I have not used a sealant on pine hive, only paint. If you want to try a sealant, I have used this one on a cedar fence. It still has some toxic solvents in it, but if you apply it at least 4 weeks before you install the bees, they will off-gas first.

Personally on pine, I would go for paint though. :blush:

1 Like

Thank You for the reply Dawn!

Is there a product in the USA that is similar to the Intergrain UltraDeck since I have not been able to find this.
Is there nothing that will seal a Araucaria Flow Hive except Exterior House Paint.
I was trying to get the natural wood look in the super and brood box. I plan on painting the roof with exterior house paint.