Second brood box

I just put a second brood box on my flow hive 2 last week Since I live in a cold region I am hoping to allow for bees to store enough food to live through a winter. I put the second box on top of the first. After a few days there was little new comb but the bees had drawn comb between the top and lower layers, cementing them together. When I inspected, I removed the comb and it made a huge mess of dripping honey. I just checked a week later and they still have not drawn much comb out in the top layer but the redrew comb from the bottom of the top frames to the top of the bottom frames. I can’t lift the top frames out to inspect w/o breaking apart all that comb. I am new to beekeeping. Is this normal? Any advice?

Bees’ll do what they do! There’s frequently comb built that sticks them together… did you put any drawn frames with bees (and brood) into the second box? That might help draw them up and build comb in the upper box frames.

1 Like

Part of the reason I decided to put my second brood box on the bottom is to prevent upward comb building. Working so far, no comb between boxes. :crossed_fingers: it stays that way.

2 Likes