Your welcome, thank YOU Dawn, we were fairly convinced that after the 4 day gap, all the bees were out. Those few on the outside towards the end were still trying to go back in. That’s why I quickly jammed the rag back in.
The bloke told me at the start that they wanted to use the drums in just over a weeks time. That would have ruled out a trap-out from the beginning because a trap-out would have taken a lot more time to extract the bees out.
Yes I finished up making a second colony, I left that colony as it is & only swapped one of the frames containing queen cells for another frame of brood. Mainly because both those frames came from a hive with a queen I like to propagate from.
I still have to pick the hive up, I turned the box so the entrance faces away from where the blokes are likely to work. Also I lowered it down a bit. I thought about placing it on one box, then remembered the lizard:) so I settled on placing it on 2 boxes.
I got a message to the boss that they can use the trailer whenever they like, however I still have to remind them that that drum will be a magnet for future swarms.
PS. the scouts must have been checking out the front drum before settling on the middle one. Once I locked the bees out on the first day, between smoking, a lot of bees were checking it out. There must have been some leftover pheromones in the hole. So I guess that drum could also be a swarm trap in the near future:)