Splitting a hive

Hi Eva, my guess is that as he is expecting many (or basically all) of the foraging bees to return to that box (because that is the place the colony was before the split), they should be fine to keep bringing the nectar in and putting it in the super - much as they were before the split. In other words, on paper, there should be little reduction in nectar coming in, and fewer mouths to feed because so much of the brood as gone. The hive in the new spot (the one that needs to make a queen) will have very few foragers for a while, but will have brood hatching all the time and should have stores of honey and pollen to feed on whilst waiting for foragers to develop.

2 Likes

@Dan2 has it spot on.
Remember to check both hives for unwanted queen cells 5/6 days after the split.
Missing queen cells is why this type of split fails but it works brilliantly to save your honey crop if you get it right

2 Likes

Ahhh, okay! Makes total sense now. Very neat solution.

So how do seasoned beekeepers not have hundreds of hives?? Iā€™ve been beekeeping only a few years and already have multiple hives due to existing hives bursting with bees. Itā€™s seems like successful hives can be split every season. Am I doing something right?? Or am I doing something wrong??

1 Like

I donā€™t have the time for hundreds. Three is about the limit, although I could stretch it to four. We lost a hive to ants last year, so that kept my population down. This year we installed 2 nuclei, bringing us up to 3 hives. I split our older hive sort of, by taking a couple of frames of brood and using them to bolster the nuclei. For next year, I have ordered some Kona queens and I will make splits and sell nuclei to help pay for the hobby. :blush:

You split when swarm preps are made. Let the new hive make a new queen, choose the better of the two, remove the other and unite the hives. Simple.

1 Like

If you donā€™t need more hives- Do like @JeffH and sell them for pocket :moneybag: :sunglasses:

1 Like

Pocket money? Itā€™s only pocket money after the tax man gets his cut.

Next thing Iā€™ll have the tax man knocking on my doorā€¦ Bring it on!!!

1 Like

I am surprised you have to pay tax on you meager earnings there Jeff. According to the Tax, my earnings are tax-free being nothing more than a hobby as log as the income stream did not exceed my fulltime job, however if it is your sole and primary income then that is different.

Income from honey has formed part of my taxable income for nearly 30 years as a self employed primary producer.

2 Likes