Tell me about the Queen

Just installed our first nuc 4 days ago! While observing I think I saw the Queen come out and go back in a couple of times. This is common? Everything is going well, ventilation is open, pollen is being brought in . . .

It was more likely a drone than the queen that you saw. The queens sole function is to lay eggs so normally she is on a frame doing her thing and would have no reason to go out of the hive, and she much prefers the darkness in side the hive than being in sunlight.
Cheers

2 Likes

@Peter48 thanks for your thoughts. I think you’re correct about it being a drone. This is our first hive and seeing the bees sight-on is much different from book pictures. This is exciting! Thanks again :slight_smile:

1 Like

This might be a help in spotting a queen. Cheers

Smaller wing length in proportion to body length, a longer and tapered abdomen and less prominent color bands, when you lift a frame out of the hive she will be the one running to hide while most of the bees will continue working. It exciting when you first spot the queen, a moment to remember.
Cheers

1 Like

And here’s one with all three - queen, worker and drone:

When I performed my first ever inspection, I found a large bee drowned in honey. I thought I’d killed the queen! But turned out to be a drone :rofl: Happens to the best of us I say… it’s the big eyes that confirm it’s a drone.

1 Like