Trapping advice in brood box

I know they had more food here than where they were and the coconut was in blossom. They came in August and were out by December. They were coming to my water and were doing good I thought. So just put a shb trap in and let them go. What do you do for the moth I know we have them here. I know the bugs just learning what others are bad for bees. I even saw a chameleon at my hive and am wondering what else ? Oh mice also got them. So as an organic farmer I am thinking what else? The bees are more difficult than being an organic farmer in Hawaii :slight_smile: I am set to go extract hive today, never thought I would do that but hoping we do get the Queen. Bringing help as I can see the Queens when pointed out but I have a very difficult time spotting her. So happy my friend is going to help me with this.

1 Like

I did start putting out traps however now when I see a grub during an inspection Iā€™ll squash it but apart from that nothing, the bees do the rest.

Iā€™m a keen gardener and travel down the organic path too. All our vegetables are grown aquaponically so all pesticides and herbicides are off the table because of the fish. The first couple of years the pests drove me nuts, now the beneficials have caught up its a lot easier but still tricky. Running a whole farm organically would do my head in so hats off to you.
Not having varroa and shb here the bees can look after themselves, there are feral colonies everywhere so we are lucky in that respect, just more competition for our beesā€¦ :wink: We have lizards, snakes mice, rats, dragonflies, birds and ants who all like a tasty morsel of bee or bee produce and I do what I can to help the bees but I will keep inspecting and watching the hive entrance and act when required. The more experience I gain the faster I spot and act.
Spotting queens ainā€™t easy, each time Iā€™ve seen them has been a fluke and once seen all they wanted to do was get to the other side of the frame and out of sight. It is best to capture the queen however as long as you get some comb with brood strapped to a frame they will make their own. Donā€™t try to look for the queen just watch their behaviour, look for where their interest lays. They will bunch around the queen swarm like after you have removed the comb. Return the following day if you can and look for bunched bees in the area if you are unsure of queen capture.

Good luck with your cut out, when you capture this colony it will give you a great sense of achievement and the colony will be worth so much more to you because in a round about way you made it. :grinning: Remember this will be your hardest removal, all after this will be easy.

Thanks for the advice and encouragement. Sounds like the same issues here only no snakes and no varroa here, I was all pumped and ready. So I checked it out and my partner wanted nothing to do with cutting into the guys house. He was worried about liability. We would have to work on ladders also as it was about 15 ft up and in a soffet under his tub. We had some electrical and plumbing close. Sooo, asked if the had a carpenter that they knew that I could work with to cut it out so it can be replaced correctly. So working on that idea. Actually thinking that if a 2 x 3 area was cut the comb would actually probably be right on top of the panel. What traps do you use?