Visit from a Virgin Queen?

Hey there.
I just got an empty second hand Flow Hive. It’s still dismantled on my deck, but today, what looked to be a Queen bee paid it a visit. She sat on it for ten minutes s or so, just enough time for my son to come and get me. I took a picture and was thinking about what I should do (I’m about to take a split a a start a second hive) when she flew off.

What’s the consensus here? Would it be likely to be a virgin queen from a nearby hive? What other possibilities are there? Is it in fact a Queen? It looks like it to me but I’m no expert.

Cheers
Geoff

Hi @djaef , I’m thinking it’s not a queen as the wings usually don’t extend to the bottom of the abdomen, even in a virgin queen, also the ones I’ve seen have all had the same colour on the abdomen not striped…but I’m no expert either :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Yeah, I thought that myself about the wings and the stripes, but it’s clearly not just an ordinary worker bee or a drone, so what else can it be?

@djaef maybe a “yellow hairy flower wasp” :face_with_peeking_eye: ???

Hi Sara, I googled queen bee, then clicked on images. Look what showed up.

Untitled

The first one is possibly an animated image, however this one looks real.

Untitled

So where would it be from @JeffH ?

Hi Geoff, I have no idea. I always had the idea that virgin queens go to the DCA, get mated, before returning to their hive.

It could be as @Saraj suggested, a flower wasp of some kind. It’s worth remembering that there is about 15,000 species of bees & wasps that are native to Australia. The majority being wasps.

There is a fly that targets native bee hives, the Syrphid fly, which looks more like a wasp in my opinion. I used to see them hanging around, & always thought they were wasps.

Hi @JeffH , love the pictures :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:, the long wings had me puzzled as well. I’m off to look for images of the Syraphid fly you mentioned. Hope you & Wilma are keeping well x
Saraj

2 Likes

I am familiar with wasps and flies. I don’t think there is any doubt that this was a bee. Didn’t have the big eyes of a fly. Just a Queen passing by, it seems…

I have had the privilege of visiting a virgin queen bee. This intriguing encounter with a young and unmated queen bee unveils a fascinating aspect of beekeeping. Virgin queens are distinguishable by their slender physique and vibrant appearance. Their sole purpose is to embark on a mating flight, where they’ll mate with drones from neighboring hives, thus ensuring genetic diversity within the colony. Witnessing this phase of a queen bee’s life offers a glimpse into the intricate world of bee reproduction and the pivotal role these regal insects play in maintaining the hive’s vitality.