Water and mould in my hive

I would try to correct what caused the mold. I would let the bees take care of cleaning it up.

4 Likes

Yeah, the floor is one that has the beetle-trap holes cut in it and the little removable black tray underneath. I haven’t yet put anything into the tray… but then I also haven’t yet observed any hive beetle. I’m sure they’ll come - at which point I’ll start keeping the tray-contents up to date, but for now it’s easier to clean the hive-cruft out (they are industriously cleaning out all the little bits of splinters et al on the new wood, along with random wax droppings).

Yeah me too. It was a “oh no, grab anything heavy to put on the hive” inspired moment, but since then I like how it looks - so I now have a buddha watching over the bees and hopefully keeping them content :wink:

1 Like

I have to common Langstad hives here in the Pacific NW of US. My top lids have sides that extend couple inches below the top on all sides. I use an inner lid as well here. Our winter east of Seattle are rather cool n wet. I
am using a screened bottom board like the Flow-hive has. I have several screened upper vents to allow plenty of natural upward air n keep my inner lids dry during out chilly winters.
I like your set up so far. Every region in the world seems to have slight differences but gets the beekeeping job done. I am considering a Flow-hive super over two brood boxes here. Our bees need about 60 to 80 lbs (10 frames) to safely winter over up here in our part of the States. Not sure my hive pix posted. Sorry !

Take n enjoy your bees.

Coalfieldbeelover-Gerald

2 Likes