Weak colonies- is this normal?

I wouldn’t do that, there would be no reason. If the hive was strong enough for a super, they don’t need any supplements of anything. The Mann Lake patties smell of spearmint too, and I wouldn’t want that in the honey - blech!! :blush:

I will take a look at the tub some time, and see if it lists ingredients. At least it doesn’t have chicken blood in it, like some commercial bee supplements. :open_mouth: :scream:

1 Like

I agree, Chicken blood in bee feed is disgusting.

1 Like

they put chicken blood in Bee feed!? That is not only disgusting- it’s immoral if you ask me.

In the UK they put sheep brains in cow feed… sometime later we got Mad Cow disease.

and here I was thinking feeding bees flour might be a bit dodgy:

Yeah well, there you go, something out of the pantry. Just plain old unbleached flour.

the bees in the video certainly seem to be enjoying it. I watched that ages ago and thought it was strange- just recently I wondered: how are the bees actually collecting it- are they eating the flour? But no- the guy in the video says they are collecting it on their legs just as with real pollen.

I’m not sure what the bloke added towards the end of the video. A different color powder.

I see that they use soy flour with brewers yeast mixed with honey as a pollen substitute. I guess nothing beats the real thing. I don’t think that we need to worry about feeding our bees like they do in N. America, etc.

I notice that when bees clean out a honey frame outside of a hive, they never touch the pollen. They probably would use it if it was placed inside of a hive.

1 Like

What’s scary to me is that some people say it’s OK with them…like Washington beekeeper Rusty B,

Chicken blood in bee feed? Really? There is so much wrong with this, I can’t even begin :chicken::honeybee::nauseated_face:

Would chicken blood in bee food be ok if the chickens were fed organically, they were free range & killed humanely?

1 Like

Naughty boy, @JeffH! :rofl: :joy:

You are such a provocateur! Actually Rusty Burlew just wrote a whole article addressing this concept.

This is for @Webclan:

1 Like

Um, no. Not in my books. It’s just a travesty. If I saw a blood sucking honey bee I might change my opinion

Edit: but I’d eat that chicken Jeff! The blood could make fertilizer?

@Dawn_SD you did see @BeePeeker link?? :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Yup, same link, different emphasis :kissing_heart:

What else can I do on a hot sticky day? I also wanted to ask @Semaphore what was immoral about using chicken blood.

Yes I read a lot of that piece on that link that @BeePeeker provided.

Plus I read a little on a couple of beekeeping forums. This is the first time that I ever heard of it.

We shouldn’t instantly dismiss it at the first sight of chicken blood. I would imagine that a lot of research & development went into getting the formula right so that a colony can produce healthy bees.

2 Likes

Thank you Jeff for that mote of sense over emotion

1 Like

You’d be surprised how many times the first instinctive intuitive emotive reaction turns out to have had a good basis. Maybe it’s fine to feed chicken blood to bees- I don’t care- I wouldn’t. Nor would I feed sheep to cows or give chimpanzees cigarettes or clone human beings :face_with_hand_over_mouth: I’m glad such decisions are easy for me.

3 Likes

Thanks Dawn. Finally a recipe.
I saw a recipe on a bee forum recently that includes baby formula. Can’t be bad for beebabies, since Australian baby formula is supposed to be real good. It’s actually hard to get, because it gets bought up to supply the Chinese market. IF you even find baby formula on your supermarket shelf, you can’t buy more than 2 jars.

My colonies are still low on pollen, rarely I see any Bees bringing pollen in.
It’s only my 2nd year beekeeping, but I remember last year my bees have been observing my mentor’s rule: bring in at least 3 different colours of pollen daily, more or less.

Now it’s close to no pollen for weeks. The 7 hives i checked all reduced their brood. Some brood looks spotty, as if the bees decided only to feed the best and throw the rest out.
One strong hive maintained a perfect brood pattern, but left an entire Centre frame without brood. Wonder if they are telling me to take it out?
Don’t want to waste a drawn frame though. But what could be their reason?

I should say here that this queen is from a reputable breeder and his queens are prob the best you can get if you want the hygienic trait.
Most of my other queens are from the same source and they are performing real well, as far as I can judge.
I’m just as happy with my local mutts. Guess our National Park has some good survivor stock from the time when beekeepers were still allowed to migrate here.

Hi Webclan - there are eggs and young larvae?

I missed this comment & question earlier. Apparently bees do like chicken blood. A bloke was telling a story on another forum how that when he slaughtered 2 chickens, some bees were eating the blood while he was gutting them. They must recognize protein when they find it. They might also have been attracted to the salt in the blood. Apparently they do like a bit of lightly salted water.

I’m sure that chicken blood does make good fertilizer. It seems that this crowd Purina has found another use for it.

Hi @Dan2
Plenty eggs and larvae. Just seems they can’t feed them all. Really hardly any pollen around. Not sure, are the bees eating the larvae? In any case, the queens lay the cells up again straight away.
I’m surrounded by National Park, so no urban plantings, except my own garden herbs .
Guess the flow comp people down the mountain wouldn’t have my pollen problem right now.

1 Like

OK for human consumption :chicken:
Haha, Jeff, we dont even feed our bees sugar (or supplements). I eat my honey, and do my best to ensure that it is as pure as possible, which is why we are treatment free and organic.

You are much more trusting than I am. Purina is owned by Nestle…Seems like a recipe for trouble if you ask me.

And finally, if bees do like/need blood, why not just offer them that freshly killed organic chicken? That way it’s as nature intended, not just another untested expensive processed food.

I would suggest a vodka tonic :tropical_drink::hugs::ok_hand:t4:

2 Likes

Hi Dawn, yes Rusty Burlew, the gal who hates the Flow Hive, but is OK with chicken blood in processed bee food :see_no_evil::nauseated_face: