Why Did Vino's (Jim's) Bees Die?

Sounds like the way the Brits would pronounce those town names (somewhat).

Gotcha. I had different conditions where I call home, which isn’t that much farther south than MA, but obviously made a big difference. We were shattering warm temperature records in February. I thought that was happening in a large part of the northeast, but I guess that wasn’t the case! January and March were cold, but not brutal. Thankfully April has been pretty mild here in PA for my start in beekeeping!

I see what you did there. :smiley:

1 Like

I’m in PA near Philadelphia (F’luffya :smile:) and we also had ridiculous warm temps in February. Crocuses, daffodils & forsythia - and maples, all started blooming. @Anon posted about it - Gentleman & Ladies of NE USA Start your Engines - because it was so unusual. Then they were zapped by another snowstorm & lingering cold. That’s been known to happen, but never as early. Once in a while we get an April cold snap with maybe some snow, but it doesn’t last for more than two or three days, so aside from more delicate flowers like magnolias, the most blossoms survive. This year’s swings were more dramatic and I wonder how the bees have been coping with it.

3 Likes

I think there was a good chance that the bees died off from Nosema Cerranae. This lives in the gut of most bees. During the summer any bees succumbing to this fly away and die away from the hive. Usually the rate of bees being produced exceeds those that die. The colony during the winter months may only produce a small number of bees and the colony dwindles. Come the spring the queen may have died or may be too sick to lay…or may lay but not really get going…so the colony dies.
If you still have some of the dead bees…take 10 of them. Cut off the abdomen…mash up in a plastic bag with a teaspoon of water. Add a drop of the liguid mash to a microscope slice. It doesn’t have to be a high magnification…only about 400x. If you don’t have a microscope…ask at your nearest high school…they always have them for students. As you twiddle the focus you may see the spores…they look like rice…two types of nosema…pudding rice shape with rounded ends and pilau rice shape with pointy ends. Nosema Cerranae doesn’t make them poo all over the hive…so it is difficult to spot without doing a slide. Treatment…if caught in time is thymolated syrup. You use a fine spray…you can get from garden centres…(even a pressurised hand sprayer for greenhouse plants). Spray the bees on the comb every three days…three times. You will be amazed how they perk up. Also requeening helps. Nosema is endemic in bees. A strong hive can still succumb to it during the winter months. It is often called spring dwindling as the colony survives into the spring but then rapidly goes downhill.

7 Likes

That’s really helpful - I tend to focus so much on varroa that I forget there are many other culprits. Good to keep in mind!

3 Likes

Randy Oliver has done quite a bit of work on this question.

This is his description of how to sample. His web site has later articles updating the method, but this one has nice images of what to look for under the microscope:
http://scientificbeekeeping.com/sick-bees-part-13-simple-microscopy-of-nosema/

This is his article on a “quick crush” and tells you how many Nosema you need to see before you treat:
http://scientificbeekeeping.com/sick-bees-part-16-the-quick-squash-method/

This article gives you microscope recommendations $200 to $500 price range:
http://scientificbeekeeping.com/the-nosema-twins-part-2-detection-microscopy/

I don’t think he discusses Thymol, but it is a tried and tested method, and has the additional benefit of treating tracheal mites, if I am not mistaken. :wink:

3 Likes