Will Bees Cap Nectar/Honey in Flow Frames

I would like to know will my girls cap their stores nectar/honey in flow frames.

1 Like

Of course, if they gather enough and can dehydrate it. What is worrying you? Something specific?

:thinking:

1 Like

Just wanted to know @Dawn_SD. I also have two flow hive Supers on the main brood box. My girls are really doing great. I see nectar on the outer frames via the windows. I can’t wait to see them Cap the frames so I can harvest from them for the first time. I also have a Honey Refractometer for Honey…so I can check moisture content of the honey as well. I guess I’m impatient. :joy::grinning:

1 Like

2 flow supers Dylan?

Whats the reason for 2? When one is almost full you harvest a few frames then repeat.

Seems very expensive

I have a massive load of bees. Giving my girls plenty of room. Brood across all 10 frames, plus I want to give them room to prevent swarming.

1 Like

If you ever want to put that super onto another hive, you can always use a traditional medium on top of the Flow super. I put extra thin non-wired foundation in mine, then use it for cut comb honey, which sells for a premium. :wink:

4 Likes

The bees will convert nectar into honey before capping it. They wont cap nectar, just to clear that up. Have patience. Take on another project so you can take your mind off waiting for the bees to cap the honey.

Once (about 30 yrs. ago) I kept watching a banana plant for the flower to appear. I looked at it every day, waiting for that flower to appear. Needless to say, it appeared & produced a lovely bunch of bananas.

2 Likes

Lovely looking stuff there Dylan!! What Dawn said about putting a medium box on top of the Flow super is bang-on for your humid climate. I’ve done this for the past two seasons now and it works like magic. The extra box on top helps the bees circulate the air inside, which dries the nectar faster. And you get a bonus of a boxful of beautiful comb honey :sunglasses:

2 Likes

So you @Eva and @Dawn_SD I should add a medium super correct on top of the flow hive super so I can get honeycomb? :grinning:. If so, I will order a medium super this weekend. Just ordered.

3 Likes

I have never tried the Hogg kits, but I have heard a lot of good things about them. Let us know how it goes! :blush:

1 Like

Will do and I will post pics. I’m amazed how spring just started and they are bringing in nectar and pollen.

1 Like

Hi Dylan, in reply to your posts, & this one I’m replying to in particular, I would advise to think more about swarm prevention above anything else. If you have brood across every frame in your brood box, during early spring, it’s probably time to do a preemptive swarm control split. That’s what I would do. I try to do this before they start making preparations to swarm. It beats chasing & or losing swarms.

cheers

1 Like

Yes. I agree. My mentor will be coming over to evaluate my main hive and provide input as well. I use the single brood box management system. Last inspection, I didn’t see any queen cups etc.

1 Like