Wind Disaster on Day 2 of a New Colony -- Need Advice

Hi Kev, I was just guessing based on the little bit that I read earlier. I was pushed for time to read the story properly.

In relation to the fighting bees: A dozen bees hardly seems enough to create what you’re seeing. Did you move a hive away prior to where you placed the swarm? Yeah, I can’t think of why the bees in the swarm are fighting. There has to be a logical explanation.

PS, sorry @Kevin_Richberg , I misread the story. I think I understand now what happened. However still confused, it’s good that you have a laying queen. Hopefully she’s laying fertile eggs. I think the best thing to do now is recap the events, then write down the dates of each event, except for the queen-rite colony. Then check each hive 28 days from the event. If no brood is evident, give them a frame with eggs from the queen-rite colony. EVERY colony will make it. We’ll make sure of that.

I did mention this earlier about feeding. If you’re feeding the bees, stop it straight away. It could be the feeder that’s the reason for the fighting, regardless of the clover in the grass. Maybe you could take it out of the hive to see if the fighting stops.

Feeding the colonies could be the reason why those colonies are preparing to swarm so early. I sold some colonies to a bloke who started feeding them straight away. Before long, his bees started preparing to swarm.
That was @redlinexx Newly purchased nuc has queen cups - #3 by redlinexx

2 Likes