I just started beekeeping this year with the help of a friend who got me started. He has fallen ill and I don’t want to bother him at this time, so I’m looking for some help with some questions.
Background- I live in Southern Ontario, Canada and our winters can be very snowy and hit lows of -20 c. Started my hive from a nuc. this spring. The bees are thriving and I didn’t harvest honey because it’s there first year and I wanted to build the colony. Flow Supers are not on, it’s just the brood box at this time. 7.5 of 8 frames are full of honey and brood with the outer two not quite built up with comb yet. I did a mite away treatment in the fall. And I have just mouse guarded the hive, raised it, and tilted it slightly for winter. I plan to insulate it with wrap for winter. My questions:
- Should I pack the sides with sawdust or something bc the outer two frames are empty?
- Can I make a feeder board for sugar and put a quilt board on top for insulation?
- If so, Should I drill holes on the side of the quilt board for insulation?
- When do I wrap the outside?
- When do I put the feeder board in?
Thanks in advance for taking the time to answer my questions!