Winterizing The Hive. Cariboo, BC, Canada

I think the wood you have as a bottom board in the above pics accepts & traps moisture. I had a piece for a temporary base & it was constantly moist, perhaps something solid & painted (external faces) would work better.

Sorry, for some reason I missed your question earlier. I think the moisture on the bottom board is condensation. You will need to do something about this, or you risk losing your bees over winter. Cold dry bees do fine, cold wet bees often don’t survive. I think a quilt box on top would be very helpful. You can either build one or buy one. Building one is pretty simple, and Rusty Burlew has a nice set of instructions here:

If you would rather have one ready made, you can get one from Bee Thinking:
https://www.beethinking.com/collections/parts-accessories/products/langstroth-quilt-box?variant=20610688708

I think you did the right thing to retreat for varroa. They do continue to drop for a month or so after treating in my experience. Obviously you don’t want to over-treat, as even Oxalic Acid can be toxic for bees. Your slider gives an interesting clue as to where the cluster is concentrating! :smile: (More debris in the upper left corner of the photo)

3 Likes

Hi Solar,

Not sure if I’ve added this … I’ve added Moisture Quilt boxes to each of mine to help wick the rising condensate away thru wood chips above a combo screen/heavy cloth bottom.

. There are multiple plans for these on the Internet. It’s not rocket science but seems to work in the cool/damp/long winter !

Just a thot,
Gerald

1 Like

Actually the bottom board is coroplast. What you may be looking at is the wooden crate that the hive is set up on…

Hi Dawn,
Actually the varroa only seem to be clustering in one area because the other area of the bottom board had so much moisture on it when i took it out it was like a puddle of water and it cleaned off the varroa etc. Thank you for the link to making a moisture quilt. If you look at the beginning of this post you will see that i actually filled an entire hive box with shavings but this link show me where I went wrong. I didn’t put any vent holes in the sides and I didn’t use a canvas bottom. Instead my bottom is solid with just a hole cut for the quart feeder jar to fit into. I’ll have to rethink the design but this gives me a clue.

Thanks Gerald, see my reply to Dawn and the pics at the beginning of this post. I got part way there, just need to make some modifications.

Hi Ron,

Did see note to Dawn. Yip ! If you make those corrections of side vent holes (probably keep them high enough so the roof can protect rain/mist from coming in too) you know how damp some of our Pacific NW winters are. I added some wire below the thick canvas cloth to prevent bad sagging too.

. Not sure you can see the screen wire in this pix covering the bottom.

Now off the dreamland,

Gerald

2 Likes

No problem, I thought it was the piece with the dead bees on it?

Hi Gerald, looks like a good idea, where did you get the canvas? Is it actually canvas like painters canvas or a heavy cloth?

Ron,

The camera is an add-on I borrowed from my kid brother. It clips on his I-phone 6. Won’t fit my older 5s. He said I could borrow anytime then return after I get pix’s I need this winter every few weeks.

And yes ! It’s a porous canvas type material I got from the material n sewing store near us. It’s pretty thich stuff.

Now off to dreamland bro !

Ta ta,
Gerald. . Harvested my last partial frame from one die-out. The mites got it.

1 Like

Yeah I see how it could look that way. That piece is just a hunk of plywood that conveniently fit in that space and will slide either in front of the hive or behind it depending on where I need it …:smile:

1 Like

Got the special thich cloth at the place my wife use to buy all her sewing material called “JoAnn’s”., I’m guessing any good cloth store would have suitable heavy canvas type cloth. There was a name for it but being old n forgetful … It’s lost in my gray-matter ! :sunglasses::+1:

Canvas duck? http://www.joann.com/home-decor-solid-fabric-robert-allen-canvas-duck-sand/2323210.html#q=Canvas+Duck&start=9

:wink:

1 Like

I really admire the beekeepers and how they care for their bees. Learning alot. I was wondering how I would winterize and I think heat tapes and insulation. The paper keeps breezes and bees maintain the warmth is really amazing.

As I now put a blanket on and feel the night chill I noticed my bees are hunkering down. First sign of cool they were definitely less active. LOL even here where we still are at the beach us locals are going Brrr at night. Yesterday actually thought a Chameleon was trying to eat my bees hanging out under the hive (Still haven’t learned if they are predators) But today we are getting rain and I am planning to make a external cover. Will make a PVC frame and lay a cover on top to keep the pouring rain out. One year we had 40 days and 40 night of continuous rain like a fire hose. No one here seems to do anything. Maybe I am over protective. :slight_smile: Learning alot

I would have thought that in Hawaii, you would not need to winterize the hives. We don’t in coastal Southern California. Of course if you get a lot of rain in winter, some kind of rain shelter might be helpful.

I am only going to put a cover to keep the driving rain out. Those were my ideas for if I had bees back where I am from in NM. Here we get to 55 F (lowest) and we can get a wind chill with Northern storms. Actually a little cooler than southern cal, (Went to school in San Diego). But Hawaii has Micro climates and we can get snow on the mountains of some Islands. But of course not where I am.

1 Like

Dawn,

Yaaaaah ! That’s it !! Quack Quakk Cloth Dawn. You have a couple years on me but you remembered.

All ladies at JoAnns knew it. I’d call my buddies wife that works there. She said they had stuff I need… By the time I got to the store ( about 20 minute )… I must have looked Bleepy :honeybee: because they pointed me to the center store cutting counter … The bolt of canvas looking cloth was sitting there already.

Ten minutes later (Yoooooh ) was walking back out the door with my “Quack Cloth” in hand.

Thanks Dawn for that quick add-info ! I appreciate that !

Ta ta,
Gerald

Neu,

You had me going for a moment ! Thot you were raising :honeybee::honeybee::honeybee: up on that Snowy Volcano there in Hawaii… :wink::+1:. A shelter from the :sweat_drops::umbrella:️ for your bee is a great idea … I’m hoping my telescoping tops, quilts n plenty of propolis bee glue…

Good luck,
Gerald

1 Like

Good approach. All this winterizing isn’t necessary for everyone. I think @Anon has a climate similar to yours, and I haven’t seen evidence of a lot of winterizing in his photos. I don’t think Michael Bush does a lot of special stuff for winter either, but his hives are often in large blocks close together (perhaps sharing a bit of warmth through the walls?) and he uses almost exclusively top entrances.

2 Likes