CALIFORNIA FLOW keepers

I did one last week with the frame of brood & a little lemongrass oil dabbed on all the frames with the lid off. I held the box under the swarm & the bees just went straight in. I couldn’t hold the box much longer so I put it on the ground with half the bees, then I put the lid on. The queen must have been in the box with the first half, which surprised me. I thought she would have been higher up in the swarm. Anyway the other half marched straight into the box.

With the lemongrass oil in the box & the lid on, the smell coming out of the entrance seems to really lure the bees in.

But if the queen wasn’t in the box, it might have been a different story.

Basically, doing it like that removes the need to do any shaking of the bees:) Which I think is a cooler, laid back approach.

1 Like

During the swarming season I always keep a couple of bait hives in the apiary and in the garden…
Last year we got swarms in both.
In the garden I watched scouts investigating one box for two days and on the second day there were lots more than the first then suddenly absolutely none. Five minutes later I heard the swarm fly over head, half settle in a tree then pour into the bait hive. They were all in in a matter of ten minutes and out foraging. A wonderful thing to see.

6 Likes

Hi Buzz, have you brought your bees back to Granada Hills? We’re getting a nuc next month most likely…we’re anxious to begin bee keeping again after about 15 years!

Another here in Granada Hills… this should be interesting

1 Like

We’ve been busy with a build here and haven’t put our flow hive together yet, hope to during the next week or so. I ordered a nuc from the valley buzz. I think it will be ready sometime in April…

ever any luck finding a club near Tulare. I am down in Bakersfield and am looking as well

Hi Dee,

Got my bait hive perched up in the west roof peak waiting.

. I’ve got lemon oil inside on cottonballs. Also rubbed beeswax around the inside n using wax foundation on the five deep frames. That’s about all I know to do. How often should a person refresh the lemon oil bait ? I’m working on one or two more 5 frame Nuc’s that as I get them finished I could set out also. Wish me luck n always looking for advise. This venture has changed a lot in last 55 years. Gerald.

I would take four frames out and just leave the top bars. Scout bees measure the inside of the box by criss crossing the space as well as a perimeter survey. If they find frames in the way they consider the space too small. As for lemon grass I top up at the entrance maybe once every two weeks. Leave the inside alone.
Nice job

Ps
You’ve posted smiley pictures of you holding frames of bees. See if you can get an old used brood frame. That’s the best swarm lure there is.

Dee,
Ohhhh ! I bought some used equipment n there were a couple medium frames with drawn wax !! Hmm … I’ll dig into those older boxes n see which one has the best frame of comb. I greatly appreciate the thots n notes… Been along time since I was in this game n the rules have been changed n/or modified some. Trying to play catch up …

I’ll climb up there today n swap out the frames with one waxy medium ! Have a great Humpday. . It’s kind of cool here today n showery. Here’s my Wx stations 08:00 data: . Here’s a flower pix to say Thankz !

Ta ta, Gerald

Dee,
Here’s my personal bee :honeybee::honeybee::honeybee: yard. I’ve shorted one to single brood box already. Today I’ll pull the other two pictures here down the same with the top feeders. . My stack of used equipment I’ll dig thru for that bait frame. . Thanks again for the tips.

Happy :honeybee: Keeping !
Gerald :ok_hand:

Lovely :slight_smile:

Dee,

Just got the five deep waxed frames pulled. I stored those away in my woodshop. I set one old wax frame in the bait hive only.

. . . I am busy busy working on another 5 frame Nuc today. Just finished the migratory lip n the bottom board too… Just added the first coat of white primer. . . I think I
have more primer on my than the hive parts :smiley:… That’s normal for me.

Take care n enjoy your evening over there.
Gerald.

That frame looks like a medium, Gerald. Probably doesn’t matter for bait, but if you want them to actually keep using it, they might do a neater job if you have a deep. Please be careful on your ladder - we care about you! :blush:

Dawn,

Good eye ! :sunglasses:. Don’t have any deep drawn inventory yet ! That will take awhile unless I can find someone selling off a couple used deeps that are diseased n buggy. I was able to buy used mediums mostly with empty ( no wax) frame. I store them alternately as someone mention I’d get better airflow n light inside them to keep less critters n bugs out.

. I’m trying to keep my small amount of used equipment resources somewhat neat.

What’s you think ?!

Gerald.

1 Like

I think it is very hard to store equipment outside with no bees. You are fighting mold, wax moths, mice etc, and that is not a winning battle! Shows what a great job our bees do in keeping their hives clean and hygienic! Amazing… :smile:

1 Like

Good stuff, @Gerald_Nickel
Let us know what you catch :smile:

Cherio Dee,

Still bit chill again here … Looking at Wx radar some moisture/showers ready to come ashore late morning to mid-day but for now partly sunny n 40.5 f ( 5 dgs C) with our highs tipping out mid 50’s. (About 12 to 14 dgs Brit temps). I never can get those conversions right ! :blush:. So my one Nuc is hanging in peak of our house n second just completed is . Set next to one of my two 10 frame Langstroth hive. When I was a teen we just waited for the old partying/phone to ring then after school Id hurry over with a large cardboRd box n cut them out of the bushes, trees n brierrers ! Been years since I’ve seen those here.

Anyway ! Guessing I’ve carried on here quite enough talking your ear off. Sorry about that … Actually not … I just have a gift of gab ! :wink: . I’ll keep yah all posted one way or another !

Ta ta,
Gerald

@ Dee n Dawn n everyone !

Just got text message my 3 Nuc’s will be available for pickup Friday morning @ 09:00. I just called my supplier n mentor to confirm I’d be there before 09:00 n ready !

I’ll get the finishing touches on my three hives n the back of my pickup truck ready for Nuc transport ! Tomorrow later I’ll share a few pix’s as I have time. I am so elated n excited … My Vera is too even though bees n yellow jackets scare her. She’ll watch the transfer thru our closed bedroom window :wink:!

weather will be perfect. Not too hot n not too chilly :ok_hand:

Can hardly wait !
Gerald

Very excited on your behalf, Gerald. You deserve the pleasure of renewing this hobby. I love it that you are sharing your journey with us, a pleasure shared is a pleasure multiplied! :smile:

My bees are delayed a week. They will be arriving on the 23rd late afternoon. So I am happy that you are sharing your new arrivals with us, so that I can still enjoy the whole experience the week before too!