Postface to the Three Reviews on the Books I have purchased

:

1. The ABC and XYZ of Bee Culture by A. I. Root 39th edition 1983
  2. The Australian Beekeeping Manual by Robert Owen 1st Edition 2015
  3. The Practical Beekeeper Vols 1, 2 and 3 by Michael Bush 2011 edition

These three books could not be more different than they are.

The Australian Beekeeping Manual by Robert Owen 1st Edition 2015 is an outstanding book for the person thinking of starting beekeeping and the newbee. It has sufficient detail for the neebee start out and is well illustrated.
The Practical Beekeeper Vols 1, 2 and 3 by Michael Bush 2011 edition is for me more of a reference and covers the good bad and the ugly on beekeeping. Having said that I can still pick it up and read something interesting and informative.
I just love The ABC and XYZ of Bee Culture by A. I. Root 39th edition 1983. Always interesting and easy to read showing us just where beekeeping has come from and how pertinent it is to us today. Its encylopaedic nature makes looking something up easy. And the very old photos and ideas well…fascinating.

I believe I made a very good choice and each book gives me something to take away. There are parts or statements I don’t agree with but others would. I am sure there are lots more books out there are just as good.

Remember that books and web pages can only get you so far. The hands on stuff is where you really learn, make mistakes, learn some more, hopefully make less mistakes and learn some more.
I’m at the beginning of this journey and loving the start.

3 Likes