Scottish bees sourcing a Nuc that fits flowhive brood box

Hi, I’m struggling to find a source to supply me with a Nuc that will fit into my flow hive brood box as all the nucs I can get are smiths/nationals.

Can anyone help me with this please.

I live in Glasgow but can travel.

If all else fails, you can adapt a National frame to fit inside a Langstroth (Flow hive deep box):

http://forum.honeyflow.com/t/managed-to-adapt-national-frame-to-langstroth-in-1-minute/7749?u=dawn_sd

You are a genius and so simple do the bees not try and build come between the outer and inner frames?

Aw shucks… Not a genius, I just spend too much time on this Forum reading other peoples’ questions and solutions! :blush:

I have to admit, I have not done this myself, as I am in the US where our nuclei all come on Langstroth frames. However, an understanding of bee biology and behavior would make me think that they will definitely fill the gaps with comb. But in a way, so what? It will work just as well as any foundationless comb does (very well, in other words). Chances are that they will build it straight, because they have the rest of the frame as a guide. Over time, you can rotate them out of the hive, just like you would with any other frame, and replace them with standard Langstroth frames. Easy. :wink:

2 Likes

This is true. I think I’ll give it a bash and see what happens. I’ll let you know.

Thank you again

1 Like

Feedback is always useful. I would be fascinated to read how it goes for you, and see photos if you have a chance to take any.

All the best!

Dawn

Yah Alan,

Like Dawn noted … Your feedback about how it goes is really helpful ! A pix or two might be nice too !

Happy Beekeeping,
Gerald

1 Like