When should I add the super

Do you have the tops of the frames pushed tightly together? They don’t usually bridge comb that much space if the frames are tight, but they will if the bee space isn’t right.

1 Like

OK,
Time for me to hijack my Q back :slight_smile:

It has been a month and a half since I took the original picture .
It does not seem like they are continuing to build or at least the speed is much slower.

I will try to take an updated picture tomorrow but I was wandering if building in bursts is something to be expected?

I remember reading that at different ages the bees have different roles / duties in the hive could it be that my bees are not “old enough” to build? or maybe they need something? how long would it “normally” take for bees that populate nicely 5 combs to build another one? (or is the term to use “to draw” another comb?)

I would suggest that you are in the dry season and that the nectar flow has dropped off. What does your local beekeeping friend think? If so, you may need to feed them now so that they can build enough to last over winter.

I asked him to come and visit and see if he thinks that there is some problem. It is possible that what you say is true, I don’t know how to evaluate it (or maybe the bee’s building speed is an indication by it self…
I am trying to understand what is the life cycle of the bees and does it have an effect on my hive…

It shouldn’t, because more bees are being born all the time in a healthy colony.

It is true that bees of different ages have different roles, but at any one point in a colony, there are bees at all stages of their lives. So you don’t generally see cycles of building depending on bee age. It is much more dependent on food availability and queen health.

Depends on the bees, the weather and food availability. In the best conditions, they might do it in a couple of days. But as it takes around 7lb of honey to build one 1lb of wax, if they are short of food, they will take a lot longer. I am getting the strong feeling that your bees may be short of food.

1 Like

Looks like you were absolutly right about the need to feed my bees.

Now they nearly finiahed with one comb and started building a second one.

Hurray! Thank you for the feedback. :blush: I suggest you keep on feeding for now, the winter can be a lean time for bees, even in a mediterranean climate.

Yes, i will… they still have to complete the second comb and build yet
another one…

Here are images of the almost completed comb and the new one they just started.

3 Likes

Very nice. Looking good. I look forward to the next update! :wink:

o.k. so here it is :slight_smile:

Last time I opened the hive (approx 2 weeks ago) it seemed like they completed all the combs and they where quite heavy to pull out but the different combs where kind of sticking to each other and when I tried to pull them out it seemed like i was damaging them so i left them alone.

Winter is starting here and I had some doubts if i should add a second brood box below the existing one or just let them bee :wink: so I talked to two local bee keepers i appreciate and they both said to no add a second brood box right now so I will do as they recommended.

Also I have started building a Polystyrene “'wrap” to put around the hive for the winter to prevent heat loss and help the bees keep the hive warm. I will post some images when I am done.

I realy hope they make it through the winter so that I will be able to start the spring without the need to get a new swarm.

The second frame in this photo looks like it’s almost entirely drone comb. I know it’s not popular here… but I would recommend using foundation.

The problem with that is that if you have brace comb, crooked comb or bridge comb, it will only get worse with time. Eventually you may not be able to inspect at all. I prefer to nip it in the bud, before it gets too bad. Otherwise you risk beemageddon when you try to take the hive apart at the next inspection. Especially if you are giving them the whole winter to get creative before you look again.

1 Like

With that said Dawn I am trying to get an inspection in but we are in our windy on off rain winter pattern. As a newbee I went with the frames that came with flow. So, those folks who are in real winter have a difficult time when they open hive in Spring? It has been over a month since I opened it. Maybe when sun comes even though windy I should open just to keep the frames separated?

Not necessarily. But if you leave crazy comb or deformed comb in the hive over winter, the bees have a lot of time to make it they way they want, which won’t always coincide with what you would want to make it simple to look after them.

In the UK, we used British Standard frames with wired foundation and very rarely had any problems over winter. We could go 3 or 4 months between inspections, and the only thing we would find on opening the hive is some bridge comb and lots of propolis.

In California, it is different. If you try foundationless frames, the bees more frequently get creative. Adding to that, the weather is warm enough for much of the year for the bees to continue to draw and actively modify the comb. Plus our queens here seem to lay pretty much year-round.

In Hawaii, I don’t know what to recommend. But based on common sense I would say pick a warm day with no rain and as little wind as possible. Bees really hate us opening the hive in wind or rain, because both of those types of weather chill the hive very quickly. Sun is preferable, but no rain and no wind is even more desirable.

1 Like

Hi all, I am VERY at beekeeping. I have a flow hive brood box going for about 2 weeks now. They seem happy. At what point do I add the Super on top of the brood box?
Thanks. John7

Most beekeepers (non-commercial) in California run their hives on 2 brood boxes. That means you should probably do that too. There are golden rules for adding boxes to any hive. Wait until your existing brood box has

1. Fully drawn comb covering most of every frame, and
  2. The comb is 80% full of brood, pollen or honey, and
  3. Every frame is well covered with bees

That way, you will know that your hive has enough bees to heat, defend and use the new box. :blush: The same rules apply to adding brood boxes or the super. I doubt that you will get to add the super this year, and you may not even be able to add a second brood box unless you feed like crazy. We are late in the season and the nectar flow is drying up now, at least that is true down here in coastal San Diego.

Many grateful thanks to @Faroe for not deleting my post when she moved it. I am sure that I am a bit more senile this week, and I don’t think I could write that many words again… :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Hi Dawn. Do you or others have an opinion as to whether a screened bottom should be replaced with a solid bottom before winter sets in, for warmth purposes? Thanks.