A Bee House In Busso

I am not sure if it would translate to larger scale. Just hope it gives ideas to anyone who can’t lift 20-25 Kg boxes. Especially when those boxes are above waist high. In another month or so it will put to real life testing.:slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Fantastic work, Wilfred :sunglasses::raised_hands:

Mechanism, dunny-bench, concrete floor all look amazing!!!

2 Likes

Thank you.
:triumph::triumph::triumph:

1 Like

Where is the photo of your dunny in your finished bee shed Wilfred?

2 Likes

Awesome job Wilfred. Just a quick question, with my bees, I’ve noticed they don’t like noise when inspecting a hive, despite smoke, they still seem to get agro if a noise is emitted.
Would your block and tackle noise effect them at all ???

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing: There was no dunny. Eve was musing about

And posed the question: “what is it”. Our Dawn suggested it could well be a rustic toilet seat.
Anyway it turned out to be

It just so happenned that at that time because I could not get portable toilets for a Wedding Vows renew party my daughter was having I had to make some toilets. Hence the

I joked with Dawn. (Edit: the link didn’t work so put in Pic)

Off topic but I never realized how much waste the human body produces. 25 people camped for 3 days and another 50+ for one day, managed to leave 240 litres of waste behind. :astonished::astonished::astonished::astonished:

4 Likes

I don’t think so. Hasn’t been used in anger yet but there would only be a lift of 25mm (1") or so. I have a new hive there at the moment just building up (slowly I might add) and don’t intend to bring my other hive down till the Marri flowering is nearly finished.

Wow, about 2 litres per person per day. They must have been drinking and eating a lot! :blush:

Hey that is almost 1/4 tonne of waste you had to get rid of! :blush: :rofl:

Good morning, you are up early.
Big tractors dig big holes. :upside_down_face::upside_down_face::upside_down_face:

1 Like

lol - I am all over the planet at the moment. Back in the US now, so it is 19:11 here right now. :smile:

So you recycled the waste? Should have a good crop of boozy tomatoes then - human waste apparently generates a lot of tomato plants. I have a friend who is a sewage processing engineer - the seeds come ready packaged in the waste. :rofl:

2 Likes

You might call it “waste” Busso, my compost worms would relish that. 240 litres!!!

1 Like

Hi Eddy, the story goes that bees are all stone deaf, but can they pick up the vibrations that all sounds make, I don’t know.:thinking::face_with_raised_eyebrow:
Cheers

Something to remember when you’re feeling hopeless, wondering what your purpose is in this life :rainbow::tomato::smile:

5 Likes

Hi Peter, there must be more to the piping noise that a queen makes than we can imagine.

Someone told me that if a swarm takes to the air, make a loud noise so the bees can’t hear the queen. Then the bees will settle, hopefully low down. That was why I had an empty tin & stick ready for when I smoked the bees out of the cable drum. The term “smoke them out” must be an urban myth in my view.

Hi @Eva, our purpose in this life is to do what the rest of the natural world does. For us, pass on our genes & keep the homo sapiens species alive.

I think you are so right Jeff. We introduce smoke into the hive and most of the bees head down into the hive, sure a few will fly, but most will head for the honey stores. That is not ‘smoking them out’ but we continue with that term when "smoking them in’ would be a better term.
Is it also a myth that bees can’t hear??? I recall that from way back and assumed it might be right but then why does nature give the queen the ability to do her ‘piping’?
Spent a few hours yesterday at the back of Nambour with a lass I set up with two hives which she thought was queenless, she didn’t finish her inspection of the brood because she got a hard time from the bees that ended with her in Nambour Hospital. So the next day I am out there and had no problems, the hive was mildly warm but easy enough to handle. She told me that she had started on the western side of the brood box and for 4 frames in there was no brood, when she had to close up and run for it. I found dry empty cells in those frames but the 4 on the eastern side were packed with brood and a busy queen. The hive is in full sun. It was like the queen had a mental barrier to go west young girl. Anyone else has similar experience? Any thought Jeff, as it is something out of ‘left field’ for me. Hive had no top vents, no fanning yesterday, could it be as simple as the western side of the brood box being hotter with radiated heat with the sustained hot weather so the bees guided the queen to the cooler side of the hive?
Cheers

Hi Pete, in relation to that hive, it might be that the colony still has some building up to do before it reaches full strength, so they started on the coolest side first. I’m sure that a strong colony can handle the heat of the afternoon sun. I guess they’ll work towards the west, one frame at a time. Is the hive painted white?, including the lid?

This morning I picked up a lid from under the sun to use for something. It’s painted white, with wood under the tin. The top was warm, however I felt under it for curiosity sake, it was not warm at all, basically room temp. The wood might be 1/2 inch thick. I was pleased about that.

I hope the lady recovers alright, cheers.

1 Like

I’ve always found the bees have a favored side to work from- or rather- one side they don’t like. generally it seems to to be the side that cops the most sun that gets capped last. It may be the opposite in winter though…

1 Like

The boxes are white but the lid is a sky blue, because it is her favorite color :thinking:
Yes, the hive is about 1/2 strength so your thinking could be right about that.
I’m sure she will continue with her bees, she has had a knock to her confidence but will bounce back. I’m going to do her inspections with her if anything goes pair shaped till she is comfortable again.
Cheers mate

Point taken Jack, the same might apply for the queen laying eggs. When I last inspected the brood it was spread across frames 2 to 7 but that was back a couple of months and considerably cooler. We have had sustained hot weather and I think that is the reason.
Re the opposite in Winter that is a possible and I’ll check come Winter when it gets down to 8c to 24c and I have to wear jeans for a few weeks. Life is so tough on bee keepers :joy:

I think that term is a truism: sadly when it comes to humans. You can smoke a human out. Nasty species we are…

1 Like