Honeyflow.com | FAQ's |

A late Spring Checkup

Finely got in and did my Spring checkup. Both hives have even starting to get honey in the supers. The very centre frames of each had about 60% capped honey. Nothing of note to report in the broods. Didn’t see a Queen but certainly saw good brood patterns.
Couple of thing not usual.

  1. The Queen Excluder in one hive had large patches of burr.

    .
    I personally haven’t seen this much before. There was a little more as I started scraping before I went and got the camera.

  2. There was a small section of missing flow frame. I am thinking that it may have come off with some of the burr comb when I split the frames.


    Or there may have been burr there to patch up what had happenned in a previous season that I missed. I don’t think it will worry the bees, they will just build it out. Or the Flow harvest as the honey flow out the other side. The left side in the photo looks a bit ragged but not noticed looking with eyes :slightly_smiling_face: at the frame.
    AND eagle eyes, …there are no eggs or bubs in there. It is light reflecting into the camera. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Gorgeous frames, Wilfred! Looks like you’re in for a great harvest. Anyone claiming to have eagle eyes better know how to spot the difference between eggs and nectar sheen. Your QXs look just like mine by the way. They just came off a couple of weeks ago with my last harvest of the season and need a trip through the low oven.

2 Likes

Your Queen excluder with the burr comb looks like mine constantly does. I’ve often wondered how much they’d seal up if I didn’t scrape it off…

And yes, that flow frame damage looks like it’s caused by burr comb (or an errant thumb/tool). I’ve not had it happen to my flow frames but have it happen regularly to the traditional frames in my hybrid Super.

3 Likes

I find wax in my QX’s to at least that amount regularly. I take enough QX’s with me to switch out with ones I have cleaned with my heat gun at home, remnants of comb on the wires will soon be rebuilt.
In the second pic it looks like some damage by bur comb as you removed the frame and if it only wax that has been damages the girls will quickly make repairs.
All looks good mate
Cheers

1 Like

What Wilfred has in his pic is what I find after a couple of weeks normally. To save time at my apiary and having the hives open I switch my QX’s with ones I have used a heat gun on at home and take the waxed QX home for cleaning. Melting the wax off with a heat gun my thinking is it takes the bees longer to start building comb there again. Scraping the bur comb down to the wire could be a welcome mat for the bees to start building there again. NOTE I am not suggesting using a heat gun on a plastic QX… :grin:
Cheers

1 Like

… But…a heat gun on a plastic QX would expedite the process of switching to a metal QX… :wink:

3 Likes