A question about foundationless frames

Hi!

When I bought my nuc, it came on 10 frames with plastic foundations, but I want starting using the foundationless frames that came with my flow hive.

I was wondering if, in order to make my bees build straight vertical combs on them, I could, when adding a new brood box, take 5 frames with foundations and move them to the new box, then insert the foundationless frames in both boxes alternating them so the foundationless frames are placed between two frames with foundations.

Is this a good idea? Did anybody try that?

Thanks!

1 Like

Great idea, but it can slow down the colony, because you are spreading them out. Lots of people have tried it. Just make sure that you don’t put brood on the outside. The other thing you can do is just alternate the outside frames (usually honey and bee bread) with the foundationless frames, and leave the brood nest intact. That would be less disruption for the bees. :wink:

2 Likes

Thank you Dawn for your kind answer…

Yes, I’ll be sure to respect the order of the frames. I do not mind a little slowdown. Having to destroy the crooked parts of the newly built combs seems to implies a different kind of slowdown anyway, no?

2 Likes

One other thing, it would be important to know what your nectar flow is like at this time of year. If there isn’t much, they won’t make comb on the new frames. Here in SoCal, the nectar flow is just about done. I had a hummingbird begging at my living room window the other day :rofl: Well, not actually begging, but looking for a full feeder. Bees down here produce very little comb at this time of year, even though it is warm enough. If you don’t have a super on, you could try feeding them to stimulate wax production. :wink:

1 Like

That is very good advice, thank you!

The second big flow is ending in about a week. My hives are quite new, I started them two weeks ago. They are only beginning to wax the Flow Frames, but here (Québec, Canada) we do have a fall flow.

I see that they are very busy flying in and out of the hive right now, and last time I checked, the brood hive was getting filled quite quickly with ressources and two and a half frames where covered with fresh eggs, but I’ll know more with my inspection next weekend.

I will see if I need to add a new brood box or keep them in one for now. I do not mind having a low yield harvest this fall, I only want them to be strong enough for overwintering this year, and in our cold climate, I have often read that having two brood boxes is better than one.

I will feed them when comes fall, for sure, so they have enough ressources for winter.

2 Likes