Accidentally used only 9 frames

So, I removed the syrup feeder 2 weeks ago and forgot to replace it with the 10th frame.

Now I have this

Should I figure out a way to fit a 10th frame or just leave it as is until next spring?

This is a photo of the second deep box.

Hi Fred, what I would do is remove the easiest frame to remove first, Then hoping the brood is within each frame, if so I would remove the bees before resting the side of the frame over a bucket honey strainer before slicing the comb back to the frame & into the strainer. A lot of honey will drip into the hive as you return the frame, which the bees will clean up. So as to not overload the bees with dripping honey, I’d suggest doing one per day.

Don’t be put off the honey being unripe. It’s just as nice, except it has to be kept frozen or refrigerated in small lots as you use it.

If the brood is not within the frame, you might have to rubber band it or something like that.

I wouldn’t leave that because the longer you leave it, the harder the job becomes.

3 Likes

Can you help me understand the connection between the brood being present and how that affects the comb?

Hi Fred, I was assuming that because it’s a second brood box there might be brood in those frames, however that might not necessarily be the case. Those frames might contain all honey. If that was the case I’d crush & strain all the honey before starting again while adding the extra frame.

In relation to brood in the combs: I assume that you would want to keep the brood, which will only be as thick as a frame, in the frames when you want to trim the (honey) comb down to the same size as the frames, in preparation so you can eventually add the extra frame.

Thanks for the clarification. I’m feeling inspired to set things straight in the box… Now to minimize angering the bees while I do it.

I like the idea of 1 frame a day.

Hi Fred, doing 1 frame per day really depends on what you have to do.
If you find that it’s all honey, then decide to cut it all out to crush & strain it, you would do that in one go. Then it depends on whether you are using foundation or not. If you are using foundation, you wouldn’t crush & strain. In that case you would do what I suggest & trim each frame back to the wood, which would require one per day, depending on how much open honey there is after you trim it back.

Use plenty of smoke. I think a smoker is a beekeeper’s best friend. I’m taking my smoker with me to the afterlife. As long as I remember to write that down somewhere.

3 Likes

It took me longer to get to this than expected and I did it all in one go. Sweaty and a bit stressful. Should I be worried that the bees are hanging out on the outside of the hive now?

I’m afraid there were many casualties today and I wish I had gotten to this sooner.

2 Likes

My bees sometimes beard after inspections too, even if I am very gentle. The most important thing is whether they are still bearding early morning tomorrow. If not, don’t worry any more. You did what you had to do!

:wink:

2 Likes

I was going to say something similar to what Dawn just said. See how much bearding there is tomorrow.

A reason for concern would be if hive beetles are an issue in your area. They will lay eggs in any trapped bees that the house bees can’t readily remove. A solid floor can also be an issue if a lot of honey & dead bees accumulate on it. Beetles will take advantage of a situation like that also, & lay eggs in those dead bees.

2 Likes

Thanks for the encouraging words. I’m happy to report that things appear back to normal on the outside of the hive.

1 Like

The bees won’t care. Sure you can remove it and clean it. The bees may or may not. You add a little bleach to the water and it will mold less.

The fact that its molding suggests the bees aren’t taking it in a timely fashion, they have found something else or there aren’t enough bees for the volume you are providing. Try giving them less, or even stop feeding them.