Add a super, flow super, or nothing

I’m a new beekeeper in NE Mississippi. Started with 2 nucs May 1st. Bees a going strong in 2 flow hive 2s. I added a medium super 3 weeks ago and will inspect this weekend. Our summer dearth is starting soon. Should I add another super, add the flow super or do nothing with the dearth approaching? We usually get a fall flow but since this is my first year I don’t know if it’s enough to put the flow super on.

Hi and welcome! By another super, do you mean to one hive that is just the brood box right now? Just making sure I get what you’re asking. In any case, I’d seriously hesitate to add any space with dearth coming. Sometimes I’ll take a frame or two of honey from a super and replace with drawn comb to accommodate the last squeezes. They’ll start backfilling the brood nest with the nectar that’s still out there just prior to a dearth as the colony begins to pull back on brood rearing. You can see if this is happening when you inspect.

It’s a good time to check mite levels and act now, to help keep them healthy as the season winds down.

1 Like

Both hives have a deep brood box and one medium box.