Adding wax foundation to a foundation-less frame

Hi All, I have a really strange question: come spring I will be adding another brood box to my hive, as recommended by a local beek here in Canberra. My question is, my first brood box is all foundation-less frames and I have been advised that the second brood box should contain wax foundation. This is all fine, but the spare frames that I have to put in the second brood box have the wooden strip glued into the groove where the foundation would normally sit. Can I still add the foundation to these frames or do I need to order more frames? I thought I could wire them and still use them as foundation-less? Any advice or ideas welcomed. Thanks KSJ

Whenever I come across frames with glued in starter strips, I simply break the starter strip off with a pair of pliers before trimming the rest off with a fishing knife back to the top bar. Then I fit the foundation up to the top bar, without worrying about the groove, because the top wire is fairly close to the top bar anyway.

How do people fix the wax foundation or a wax starter strip to the top of the frame? I have had it continuously fall off or the whole sheet collapse and make a cross comb mess in the super.

Here’s two of my videos on the subject.

cheers