Advice Welcomed after Swarm

So last Tuesday (22 Feb 22 09:35 am) I watched, dumbstruck as my lovely ladies began to swarm. They picked the second of two days break in the ongoing rain cycle still hitting the East Coast of Oz.
It’s just about to turn into Autumn and I’ve only had the ladies 4 months.
Last inspection I struggled due to the amount of bees in the brood box and thought there were a lot of drones and in hindsight, should probably either added another brood box or split them, but the super was added 10th Jan and I thought this would help.

After reading up on Wally Shaws Swarm control, thank you @Dawn_SD and advice given @JeffH does anyone care to advise which queen cup to save out of these…

Any thoughts would be gratefully received :pray:

Also is anyone feeding their bees as I’m not seeing much stored honey in my remaining hive.

We managed to capture the swarm and they are currently on holiday at a kind neighbours (Lemon Drizzle Cake promised as thank you) and will be returning to new site at home next week…all being well :crossed_fingers:

I can tell you what is said but I don’t know if this has been scientifically tested and that is to pick a good large sealed queen cell with a nicely pitted surface.
The first cell isn’t sealed and I don’t like the surface of the second.
That would suggest either of the last two to me.
Another consideration to take into account might be the position on the frame, a cell that is in a protected position is less likely to be damaged as you return the frames to the hive.

Thanks @JimM I was thinking the same thing, I’m very worried about the ladies, seems not much stores left due to deluge of rain for too long and big drone amount eating them out of house & home !

I’m planning to take off the flow super and feed them sugar syrup 1:1 just till the weather improves and hope that works :pray: much appreciate your thoughts.

2:1 would be better for your purpose.

2:1 is used for replenishing stores.
1:1 is good if you need to increase flights. Another thing, 1:1 require more work and wears out bees sooner.

Thanks @ABB Im beginning to wonder what else can go wrong :weary: but then I looked out the window and saw the gully fill up with water and the dam overflow, I keep thinking it can’t rain for much longer…:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

[quote=“Saraj, post:5, topic:32460”]

Let me help you to build up some confidence. Anything and everything may go wrong :grinning:

Agricultural activities never guaranteed success. We can only create the best possible conditions and hope that they are going to work as planned. Then react to inevitable crises :slight_smile:

A practical advice - get a few more boxes before the next season :slightly_smiling_face:

@ABB Thank you for your advice and words of encouragement :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:, I am pleased to announce that I am the proud owner of two hives….for now :wink: the 1:2 ratio went down a treat :+1::pray:

2 Likes