Aggressive colony - do I need to requeen? Toowoomba Queensland

Do I need to re queen again ?
I introduce a new queen to my hive after taking advice to re queen as I couldn’t get rid of chalk brood , I tried everything and after a year decided to re queen. that was about 16 weeks ago, success, I have eliminated the chalk brood but now I seem to have a very aggressive colony. I have been stung a few times just observing from a distance and today I attempted to do a brood inspection and was swarmed with bees, I used a smoker and was fully suited however it was definitely not a pleasant experience. The bees attacked everything even the smoker was being attacked I only managed to inspect a few frames before giving up. The colony is strong and I already have my super almost full with honey, but I want to enjoy the experience.

Assuming the weather and other hive annoyances were at a minimum, I’d say if they are this aggressive during a honey flow it is a bad sign for things to come.

They may get even more defensive as they continue to increase in numbers and the season becomes less favorable.

So, I would be in favor of requeening.

6 Likes

Two things to do. Requeen for sure but also weaken the hive. Either split it hard or if you don’t want more hives feed some brood frames to the chooks. I prefer to split then recombine later but the chooks do work.

Cheers
Rob.

5 Likes

I agree to requeen. To make life a lot easier while finding the queen, take the brood box quite a few meters away before pulling any frames out. The angry bees will return to the original site, which means you wont have the same bees continuing to attack you in increasing numbers while you try to find the queen.

4 Likes

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I will take the advice and re queen. :pray:

2 Likes

I think a good decision to requeen too. When looking for a new queen ask some questions about the traits the breeder targets and pick the ones you want. Even seek feedback from others experience with their queens. I prefer non swarmy and docile queens over high production queens in my urban hives.

The advice to reduce numbers is sound too as they will be more likely to accept a new queen. If you do a split you and requeen that too, the sale of one will likely cover the cost of the two new queens.

1 Like

i am off the same opion as adam

1 Like

I recently acquired my first hive. I was actually after a nuc but was offered a brood box and 2x supers, 50,000 bees and full of honey.
Seriously aggressive. Guard bees stationed around the house. Could not go outside without being attacked.
I was stung walking in the yard 15 meters from the hive. They would come to the front of the house from the backyard hive location and chase the dog…. not kidding.
So my effort to inspect? I suit up, but forgot to secure the bottom of the legs of the suit near the feet. Open the hive, I\within half a minute I’m under full on attack… bees after another minute fing the vulnerable point (my feet), I get 30 stings. They chased me around to the front of the house and stung the wife as well.
I was going to requeen but the prior owner decided to take it back… probably thought I was too incompetent.That was not a Flow Hive BTW.
Anyhow started again with a Flow Hive 2 and. nuc. First inspection today… all good.
All that to say… I feel your pain in regard to aggressive bees!!!
And I can relate entirely to that… even the smoker being attacked.

Footnote: That changed my attitude toward bees. I don’t have a warm fuzzy feeling about them. I see the hive as a honey factory to be treated with respect and caution. I enjoy watching them and doing bee duties. But… they aren’t on the Christmas card list.

your last nuke befor owner took tham back must of had the agrassive gene

1 Like

Wasn’t a nuc it was a full triple box hive with 50,000 angry bees :grimacing:
Yep… the Queen needed to be killed and replaced.

My italian hive can get intolerant at times upon inspections, I however previously made mistakes that have triggered them. The positive side for me is that they have been incredibly hard working with explosive growth. So i figure if i can learn to read the bees then i wont upset them as much and the whole experience with the inspection is overall a positive one.

what you faced takes things beyond sensibility. Its obvious your previous colony was a risk to yourself and your family. However its my hope that your current Hive can change your view over time.

2 Likes