Requeening an aggressive hive

I have noticed over the last few months one of my hives is becoming more aggressive. This hive was left unattended for several years on a remote farm when the owner(who kept a few hives) passed away and his relatives wanted it gone and asked me to take it. I have had it for 2 or so
years now and the hive has grown well but are now becoming more aggressive. I should be getting a new queen in a couple days and as the hive is full I will probably have trouble finding the old queen so have decided to put half the hive in a nuc box and leave the rest in the hive and hopefully narrow down which box the queen is in. Will be getting the full clothing on for this as they wont like this and wondering if anyone have any suggestions I could do to make it easier for them and me?

1 Like

Check out the thread called My Bees Hate Me, it’s full of excellent advice on this including a couple different step-by-step descriptions of what to do :+1:

3 Likes

Yes read it and have a few more options such as the sugar spray will see how it goes cheers

2 Likes

Here’s the link to the thread recommended by Eva, for anyone else reading this (especially newer forum members) who might like to check it out…

2 Likes

Yes some good suggestions in this

2 Likes

I have a couple of points to make. If the brood frames haven’t been removed for a long time, that can make them hard to remove, thus upsetting the bees all the more, as you try to remove them. Another point is: sometimes brood frames can need replacing in hives that haven’t been checked for a long time. Therefore a good idea would be to have some replacement frames on standby for when you open the brood up.

Regardless of how you do the brood inspection, when the time comes, the main theme (I believe) in the other thread is to work on the brood box well away from where it normally sits. That way the bees will return to that spot, making it easier to carry out the brood inspection.

1 Like

Thanks JeffH thats a good option was thinking of moving half of the brood box away but did check them 3 weeks ago