Any "Flow HIvers" in the Pacific NW (Portland, Oregon)

We just finished assembling our gorgeous new flow hive and would like to connect with like-minded newbies in the Pacific Northwest area of the United States. Is there anyone out there who can mentor a couple of very enthusiastic and eager newbies?

3 Likes

@Gerald_Nickel
…I think this is in your neck of the woods???

1 Like

Thank you. How would I contact Gerald in Renton, WA, through this forum?

1 Like

By putting the @ symbol in how I did Gerald will get a notification so he’ll know to check here. You can send him a private message if you wanted though.

@Dawn_SD or @Eva might also be able to recall a few people located up in/near the Pacific NW that on this forum…?

1 Like

You sayin’ I’m an old Flowtimer, Snowy? :smile:

3 Likes

:zipper_mouth_face:

… Just a good memory :wink:

2 Likes

Haha good save! Thanks :+1: I’ve been trying to think of some other PacNorthwesters on here but so far only our pal Gerald comes to mind…I miss his posts and hope he and Vera have been doing okay.

@misslindy :cherry_blossom:Welcome to the forum​:cherry_blossom: - I’m going to try to recategorize this to the Connect to Locals space.

2 Likes

Hi[quote=“misslindy, post:1, topic:28028, full:true”]
We just finished assembling our gorgeous new flow hive and would like to connect with like-minded newbies in the Pacific Northwest area of the United States. Is there anyone out there who can mentor a couple of very enthusiastic and eager newbies?
[/quote]

Hi, I live in Sherwood Oregon and have had my Flow Hive for a couple of years now. I lost my first hive and suffered a bad mite problem but since then I have been working on getting rid of the mites and getting reading for winter.
As I am new to this I have found a great teacher who lives in the Sherwood/Wilsonville area. His name is Eugene and he comes to help me with my hive a couple of times a year.

1 Like

This is awesome news about local “bee hivers." We think we may have located a wild hive in our son’s backyard. We have just finished staining the sides of the brood box and will be painting the roof this weekend. We are still in need of a smoker. We have a bee suit.

I’m still not sure about how to respond to postings here.

1 Like

Well, you just did a good job, so it seems that you know how! :blush:

How do I respond/contact the beekeeper in Sherwood, Oregon, or Eugene?
MIss L

I’d like to respond directly to the beekeepers recommended in Sherwood, Oregon, and a beekeeper named Eugene.

Ah, unless they are a member here, I can’t help you with that. But if you want to alert @Linda_Wagner, you just type an @ symbol in front of her screen name, or send her a Private Message (PM) by clicking on her avatar, then clicking on Message that is in the top right of the pop-up window. PMs are the best way to send personal contact info, as this is a public forum, and is regularly patrolled by spammers… :wink:

1 Like

@Gerald_Nickel

Hello! I’m in Vancouver, Washington and need a mentor and to connect with the local beekeeping community. Would you be able to help me? I have a Flow hive to prep and I ordered a queen (delivery not until later this year.)

Thank you so much!

Hopefully you ordered more than just a queen - you’ll need a package/nuc/split to go with her…

1 Like

Hello Betsy,

This is Jerry up in Renton area. I’d be happy to help (mentor) if still no more local beekeepers closer.

I am still operating 3 flows n retired my other older 10 frame hives. At 77 yrs the lighter 8 frame flows are easier to manage n care for.

My regular e-mail ( if flow allows me to pass on) is: gwnick@sol.com.

Looking forward to helping if need be. I have fellow on Longview area I chat :speech_balloon: with n help at times n another over at Lk Chelan area.

Cheers n happy beekeeping,
Jerry

4 Likes

Jerry, you’re the best! It’s good to see you here. :hugs::sunglasses:

3 Likes

Hello! I’m also in the PNW in Seattle and have had our Flow hive for 7 months. It’s ready to go but we assembled too late to get any bees going. As we’re getting ready to purchase a nuc, I had some really disappointing feedback about Flow from a local expert. They said that this was a really poor choice for our weather due to the thin cedar frame and that it will only be warm enough for the honey flow in August. ??

They also said that I need 2 brood boxes not 1, that the vaulted top will create crazy comb (whatever that is), and that Flow creates a situation where I will take all the honey and not leave enough for the bees during winter.

I’m so confused! Can someone please say they’ve been successful with Flow hive in PNW so I don’t regret my purchase?? Thanks!

1 Like

It works well enough in much colder climates and you can always get a wrap if it needs more insulation.

I’d say that probably depends on how much you might need to feed them and the time in between your local flows. I’d ask a couple more experts or see if there are any other flow users here from SEA. I only use one in Columbus, OH. Also, bear in mind that regular langstroth boxes are compatible with the flow boxes.

Some people don’t mind the crazy comb (comb built outside of the frames) and even use it as a barometer of how full the rest of the hive is (like @JeffH ) but if you don’t want that, you can always block the hole in the inner cover.

If you harvest everything and don’t give them time to fill up their stores for winter (since you’ll want to remove the flow frames) then, yes, that’s a fair criticism. But if you plan ahead that won’t be the case. I remove the flow frames here in Ohio before the fall nectar flow and then feed them after the fall flow is over if they still are a little light.

Good luck. Keep on reading and learning before your bees come.

2 Likes

Hello and welcome to the Flow forum! :wink:

I am sorry that you have had such negative input from a local beekeeper, but sadly this is a very common attitude among traditional beekeepers. Many seem to be very resistant to new technology, but don’t worry, we will help you with advice specific to Flow hives. You have already had a very good answer from @chau06 and I have a few points to add.

This is absolutely not true. Cedar is a pretty good insulator and has been used in hives in all kinds of climates for many years, with no problems. As Alok said, you may choose to insulate your hive over winter and your bees will probably do better if you do so, plus consider a moisture quilt under the roof. That would be true for any hive though, not just Flow hives.

Total rubbish. As soon as the super is full and 90% capped, you can harvest it. When that happens will depend on the nectar flow for that particular year. It does flow better out of the super in the warmer parts of the day, so I would plan to start late morning, and allow at least 2 hours for the flow to finish from each frame. You may not get a harvest in your first year, especially if you add a second brood box, but once you have a strong hive, you may be harvesting in April or May.

I would say that for a beginner in your climate, it will be easier to get the bees through winter with 2 brood boxes. You can manage with one, but you will have to monitor their food stores carefully and plan to feed them as needed. Judging food stores can be hard when you are still learning, so 2 boxes is safer and will give them enough for the winter. You can always buy a second brood box, either from Flow, or from a local supplier, if you don’t mind the wood not matching. Cedar is expensive, and most suppliers use pine instead.

More rubbish! He is referring to the bees filling any empty space that is over about 3/8" with extra comb. What he probably doesn’t realize is that you will have a crown board (inner cover) under the gable roof. As @chau06 says, if you cover the feeder hole in that with a tile or similar flat barrier, they can’t access the roof space.

There are plenty of people in the PNW who are successful with Flow hives. @Gerald_Nickel has been using them in Washington state for more than 5 years, if I remember right. There is no reason that you can’t be successful too. Just manage your brood boxes the way that your local beekeepers do with Langstroth hives. The Flow hive is just a Langstroth hive, with a special super for harvesting. Join a local club, and don’t mention Flow to them, just say that you have a Langstroth (which is true!) and follow their advice for taking care of bees in a Langstroth.

Take a deep breath, relax and have confidence that you can do this! :blush:

2 Likes