Anyone else making mead?

Not North America, just America - we Canadians are on metric - have been for decades!

1 Like

Good luck in the competition @Cowgirl! Yes @Eva you do drive on the right(hand) side of the road. Why is that anyway?
Apologies @Bossert and all other Canadians, my bad.
@Freebz your tag sounds familiarā€¦ BYAP?

1 Like

Becauseā€¦we invented driving :sunglasses:

No worries skeggley! See we also say ā€œno worriesā€ up here in Canada :wink: Although we do drive on the right hand side of the roadā€¦which of course is normal :smile:

1 Like

Yep Iā€™m on BYAP, been a while since Iā€™ve posted there though

Gallon @MrBear ? Really?
At least you didnā€™t say literā€¦

:rage:
[/quote]

Well, I bought a 1 gallon demijohn when I was living in the US, and brought it back to Australia on my returnā€¦ so technically it is a 1 gallon jug :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you all for the recipes!

1 Like

Started my first batches. Doing Joeā€™s Ancient Orange since it is such an easy recipe.

2 Likes

I plan on making mead with my own honey, but need to learn beekeeping first, I have made about 10 gallons in the past and nothing ferments like honey its slow and smells awesome. So really wanting to get started with a flow hive and have my own honey!

2 Likes

Well this is a positive sign, I am starting to see Honey Mead products in my local bottle shop. So I just had to buy some to compare to the homebrew. The Cloudy Apple Cider was too just irresistable not to buy, will double as a small fermenter.

1 Like

Haā€¦ a bit more refined compared to my brew, think mine need a few more years to mature.

1 Like

Ok so I have some spare honey and Iā€™ve just bought some 5 litre demijohns. :slight_smile:
Not knowing wether I like mead and the fact it takes ages, ages and ages until itā€™s ready Iā€™m going small batches.
My first batch will be the @Mattress recommendation then immediately followed by the @Freebz recipe.
I see these recipes are subtly different both in flavours and style.
I will try to put down a different batch after these two every month until Iā€™m out of honey.
@Cowgirlā€™s link I notice the use of yeast nutrient yet the others donā€™t, any comment on this peeps?
Anyway this weekend begins my foray into the making of mead and if there are any more favourite reciepies please share as Iā€™m going to be needing more. :wink:

1 Like

Very cool! I tasted some homemade mead years ago that I thought was awful, like cough syrup & stupidly concluded that I donā€™t like mead. @Cowgirl brought me some of hers last summer and I was transformed. It was pure ambrosia, having been made with fresh honey and aged properly. Hereā€™s to a successful batch to taste in 2019 Skegs!

1 Like

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=40204

Well I did a bit more research, joined a couple of mead forums, thanks @TonyFromWestOzā€¦ and found Joes ancient recipe (@Bobby_Thanepohn) which is for 1 gallon. Foolishly I mixed, added and filled my 5 litre bottle and then realised I was a litre diluted so I added more honey and now Iā€™ve read @Mattressā€™ post and it shows the same measures except for 5 litresā€¦
Oh well itā€™s now bottled and was bubbling within 10 minutes! Yay. Only a year to wait nowā€¦
Reading through the mead forums blew me away with the interest and popularity of mead, all the medieval user names cracked me up too.
Iā€™m spending too much time on forums, I think I need to see a therapistā€¦
:nerd_face:

2 Likes

I think you need to check when itā€™s ready then SHARE the mead!

1 Like

Share? Does that include me, myself and I? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
As much as Iā€™d like to experiment with flavours I think the next batch will be just honey and water with raisins or sultanas, which are the nutrient I believe, I have enough honey budgeted for another 2 x 5 litre DJā€™s which I should stagger monthlyā€¦ Shouldā€¦:smirk:

1 Like

The forums are a form of therapy! :blush:

3 Likes

Thereā€™s shertainly no need to wait a *hic year my friend.

3 Likes

Hey @Bobby_Thanepohn - how did your Ancient Orange turn out?

1 Like