Bee Photographs

I would put money on it not containing Varroa in South Australia. :blush:

3 Likes

This is what SHB look like, when they do turn up in S.A.

cheers

2 Likes

Thank you Jeff. I’ve saved the image for future reference.

2 Likes

Sorry about the false alarm, @Romeoc - didn’t check your profile before answering :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

@Eva As we say in Australia ’ no worries ’

3 Likes

Bee Happy!!!

1 Like

Three little birds?

:blush:

1 Like

I was thinking more of Bobby McFerrin. “Don’t Worry, be happy” :kissing_heart:
Not sure if the link will work though because I am totally inept.

2 Likes

@Ahrenswish and @Dawn_SD
A happy interlude on a dull and cold day in Adelaide!

1 Like

When i do an inspection i swap out the qx with a clean one, this one has been out for a while waiting for me to set up the solar melter meanwhile the bees have been recycling propolis.

3 Likes

10 days in Swarm City:

7 Likes

My bees were doing the exact same last week. they spent 5 days on a QX and removed almost all of the propolis. they sure are keen on it. They ignore the wax.

Well done Jack. It’s not happening up here this season. However I have heard of a couple of swarms in the past week.

1 Like

the large one pictured at the bottom is one of my own hives that swarmed- it was so large I had to put it straight into a ten frame hive. 10 days later they had built 100% of the foundation, laid eggs across the entire box, and had healthy stores of honey and pollen. It’s amazing to look into a brand new hive- with brand new frames, 100% built out of perfect pure white wax. I am selling that hive but once I inspected it I immediately wanted to keep it. It will need a super in 14 days when those 9 frames of eggs all start emerging.

The other huge one hanging off that branch I caught yesterday. the lady said it was ‘smallish’. I turned up with my Nuc- and headed straight back home for an 8 frame. The lady said to me, ‘It might have come from that hive there’, pointing to a hive 10 feet from the swarm in her yard… I said, ‘yeah, maybe:wink: Turns out her son manages that hive and hasn’t inspected it yet this year… I told them to call me when the next swarm issues from it in 4 days…

5 Likes

100% natural comb

2 Likes

One of my ladies enjoying some late season forage on this sweet-smelling osmanthus earlier today:

4 Likes

Mild temps yesterday brought customers to Eva’s Beestro for a drink:

6 Likes

One of my favourite bees, a blue banded bee feeding on Salvia in our garden.

11 Likes

Very nice shot Paul. I like the way she grabs the flower petal.

2 Likes

Sharing nectar

7 Likes