Bee Photographs

Fabulous photo for many reasons!

1. It shows the proboscis extended to share
  2. The left bee is probably the forager.
  3. The forager has much less hair on her thorax and is darker than the right bee. Hairs rub off during the life of a bee, and most hairs are yellowish in colour, so a darker bee is often an older bee. Bees become foragers about 3 weeks after emerging, and continue in that role until they die. Nurse bees stay fluffy and lighter for a week or two, so that receiving bee is several weeks younger than her older sibling.

Really fantastic photo, thank you. Bees are so amazing, and this photo shows so much of their biology and life cycle. :hugs: :heart_eyes:

6 Likes

Agee with Dawn. What a photo. Even shows the proboscis is “see through” and showing the nectar in it.

3 Likes

Thank you for that tit bit. I was wondering why some of my bees were darker on my last inspection.

1 Like

I took this photo as I was off to run errands. This bee was on my windshield of my truck.

10 Likes

Wow!!! Love it. I am surprised that she could fly! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

I got out of the car and moved her with a business card to a plant. :joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

Older bee loose some of their body hairs and so look darker in color, but that is just an illusion as the hairs makes them appear lighter in color…

1 Like

Not very flattering of the Camaro. :wink:

Happy new year Martha

2 Likes

Wow, a great pic, looks like she fell into a flower full of sticky pollen and she is way over loaded…

1 Like

Happy New Year to you and the whole forum!

5 Likes

Happy New Year to All, may this New Year bring your prosperity.

4 Likes

I know I always call my truck a car it’s my downfall LOL!

Phew… thats a relief. :relieved: :relieved: I had visions of our Dawn calling her Teslar a truck, which just would not do. :upside_down_face: :wink: :wink:

1 Like

A short video of my Apiary, all my 9 colonies have survived.

This year will do video blog’s on:
queen rearing using the Nicot system,
preparing for spring,
FlowHive Supering and harvesting.
Removing FlowHives super and allowing the bees to clean them before storing up for winter.
Winter feeding.
Creating backup nucleus colonies for the following year.

I look forward in receiving your constructive feedback on my videos, this will just be a personal Blog to learn from mistakes in the future or record things that work.

4 Likes

How wonderful that all of your colonies have survived, @Paras!! I’m so happy to see those bees at each of the entrances :heart_eyes: So far, so good with my two colonies also!

Can’t recall if you already discussed it but how did you handle mite management over the course of last year, since I’m assuming they’re an issue where you are in Essex?

Thanks for posting this nice view of success!

1 Like

Hi Eva,

Yes always good to see your colonies survive and thrive each year.

Mites is always an issue and I can’t go year without treating, I did 4 treated in September to allow the colony to raise healthy winter bees.

I have been checking the bottom board and saw in December the mite drops were high, decided to another 3 treatments and they really dropped. The reason why my colonies have high mite load is because I have allowed my colonies to build natural comb and the bees have done about 20% drone combs and raise at least 2 frames of drone brood.

I am have chosen to use vapourise treatment for the bees as I do not need to open the hive for treatment.

1 Like

That’s good, I should probably also check the bottom board on my one colony that has this type. The other colony has a solid bottom, but I think if I did see a lot of mites on the other one I’d probably treat both. There’ll be some much warmer days here in the next week, so vapor would be a good option. Also a good time to get a jump on mites before brood rearing starts! Thanks for the tip :cherry_blossom:

2 Likes

Your are most welcome.

I usually treat few weeks before I put the supper on as well, my reasoning for these is when I raise new queens I like having as little mites in the hive.

Every year there is new things I am learning with my beekeeping skills. It’s keeps you on your toes.

2 Likes

Great to hear your colonies have survived, quite the setup you have :smiley: Video Blogs are great, this is a nice taste of what’s to come.

1 Like

2 Likes