Beekeepers rush to cash in on rare megablossom in Western Australia's marri trees

Gee… Not happening near me unfortunately… Which is a pity because Marri and Jarrah honey are my preferred types.

3 Likes

From the article… Emphasis mine…

"“We’re seeing two to three kilos a day of honey come in per hive but you’ve got to get that honey out because if you don’t the boxes fill up too fast,” Mr Green told the ABC.x

3 Likes

"“I’ve only been in the industry for two years but I’ve never seen anything like this before,”

that’s a funny quote I think. So lets see- it didn’t happen last year?

1 Like

Thanks for sharing Snowy. :+1:
What I’m seeing here is a different set of trees flowering this year compared from last. Last year was undoubtably a good year also but some of the blossom laden trees I saw last year barely flowered this year and remember the previous few years were pitiful according to commercials.
This season ive seen trees blossoming three times which I’ve not noticed before. Having said that, prior to beeking I didn’t really take notice… I’m told it is unusual but eucalypts are opportunistic plants.
The Marri bloom is seeming to flow a bit longer this year though.
As for 2-3 kilos of honey per colony per day, who isn’t? Aren’t you getting that? Nah me neither… But that’s harvesting a 10 frame super every couple of weeks so if you are following the bloom, quote from the article;
“It’s nothing to do 400 to 500 kilometres in a day and a lot of keepers can do twice that.”
Maybe it’s possible.

1 Like

I’m sure it is possible- or rather it was possible- Western Australia holds records for reported honey harvests: an average of around 350 KG per hive- but that was back in the 1950’s:

"“We can confirm the average production of 346 kilograms (762 lbs) per hive from 460 hives. (This is almost twice the Aebi claim to fame, and it is an average from hundreds of colonies, not just one hive’s unique production.) The beekeeper’s name was Bob Smith from Manjimup, Western Australia. The honey was Karri. The year was 1954.” Mr. Winner adds: “This figure is confirmed by R. Manning with a reference to a journal highlighting a box titled World Record in Honey in 1954.

2 Likes