Bees and Aquaponics... Are we due for starting the future?

Hi to all buzzer bees and buzzer queens…

Darn, just start reading through this forum my alarm bells are ringing big time…

I was reading of diseases and pests AND mass extinguishing of bees worldwide caused by Humans.

Wow Wow Wow!
Does it mean its not anymore like Grandpa’s time, about having Bees, taking the stings with a smile, selling honey and may be sometimes you went to war with a bunch of mad going Hornets???

Ok, about Grandpa (hope he is with me in heaven)
that was all about the issues, we had with bees in the 1970th as I was a little Toddler of 10…

Its 2019 now, Willy is now the Grandpa and moved from Germany to Thailand in 2002.
Became a successful offshore worker and met the Girl of his life…
(enough about me)

I am due to bring a whole bunch of Rice, Sugar Cane and Rubber farmers to the future…
And the future is:
With the increasing the World Population there need to be found new ways of high density Farming…
We can cut down more rain-forests and end up with a second Venus (you know what this means for the manhood) or we can change our Farming habits… Fields/ Fertilizer/Pestizides/Consumer to a new level…
I stumbled (don’t know anymore when it was and what reason brought me to it after even spending more than 100.000 $ for trying) into Aquaponics. I found out that in Aquaponics you can grown big time more veggies and fish as in commercial ponds, healthier and the density is amazing…

Just to make clear:
Aquaponics is a Lake with Fish and Lotus Flowers and the only difference is that it keeps way more fish and “Lotus” flowers here called human Vegetables in a very high density like 2.000.000 leafy Greens and 48000 Kg Fish per year in one system…

But what happens when there are no Bees anymore?
No Tomatoes, Pumpkins and Aubergines on the Table? I can live with that one, so lets forget the fruits that need to be pollinated…
Well that is just the begin: Where to feed the world Populations?
Answer with Aquaponics…
OK, and when all salads and leafy greens are eaten? Where is the seed to continue???
Cauliflower and Co.Ltd needs pollination so when all bees a re died out John Kaputtnick has not the Power to pollinate all these flowers needed for new seed and outside its meanwhile too poisonous for our Bees…

Ok that was my eye opener and sure a future.

Now my idea:

Aquaponics is the solution… And lets build Greenhouses of a huge size according to the exploding world population, not cutting more Rainforests and find a way of high density.
By the way: The mayas and Incas must have been a lazy bunch that they used already Aquaponics 1000 years ago…

My challenge here in Thailand is my Greenhouse idea, built on a huge aquaponics farm where the good ones are in and the bad ones (pests) stay out.
But at least I want to keep the Labor force low that people can effort my Bio Products and using bees for example for pollination…

1st question of 1000’s
Which bee in Thailand is suitable to live in a Greenhouse , spares all other human colleagues with their stings and don’t bother when the shortage of flowers is present to live out of a bowl of sugar water…

I know its written ironically but its not about me, I am 56 now and there will be food in abundance but will there be enough for my Grandchild when she is 56 of age??
I am almost sure that our honeybee will pay her due but which bee will safe our all future??

I am really looking forward what others come up with this post…

1 Like

Hiya Willy. I know nothing about Thai bees but know a little AP. Home, hobby AP.
(Dawn does indeed have a good memory to go with her wit. :wink:)

Will it save the world? No.
Will it make you rich? Unlikely.
Is it fun? Yup.
Is it addictive? Fraid so.
Sort of sounds familiar… :smirk:

Tell me Willy, this project you are looking at undertaking, what’s your AP experience?

2 Likes

yep, you hit it on the spot.

It will generate an income that keeps me busy when i retire of the offshore business.
I see too many expats that are sitting at the stone table in front of 7/eleven. face turning red at 15:00 and at 18:00 they move home… Is that life…

To explain what i know so far of aquaponics, 5 years i am running a test system growing 500 greens and 50 tilaipa, 10kg arapaima fillet and about 15 pound of red claw crayfish monthly just for teaching my Thai family what I have learned.
I am seaman, but grew up with uncles running hydroponic farms in the Netherlands, got a Grandpa who was Beekeeper and one who was fisherman…
AP cannot save the world but can feed more coming population using the same footprint for farming we have already.
Rich, is in the eye of the beholder… Arapaima, 12$ Kg export, Red Claws 32$ Kg export it pays well when you consider that even the fish poop filtered out makes good money as high end fertilizer,
when you run a zero waste management and have the will to overproduce and sell only the top quality greens. Lower quality ends up in fish food, food for soldier fly maggots and then you are ennobling your fish, selling frozen fish fillets as you need the guts head and spine as 2nd protein deleverage (Duckweed a 3rd) and so you can reach even 60% Protein for your Arapaimas and have no fish food costs at all which breaks most fish farmers the neck…
I cannot bring all lessons learned here on this forum…
As i started 2013 my first backyard system it was writing the title of a book and that was “So NOT”
5 1/2 years later and about 60000 EUR ‘lighter’ we have created a small copy of your commercial farm planned for 2021/22 that works perfect…

and yes, its fun and I never was so close with my wife (by meaning being a seafarer or working with her together)

2 Likes