Bees creating new comb on the frame adjacent to plastic foundation

I’ve recently added 3 frames to my brood box with black plastic foundation. (5 frame nuc up to 8 frame)
The bees have started creating comb from the top of the frame, but on the edge of the frame, not on the plastic, so there’s a gap between their comb and the plastic foundation. It’s about 1/3 established. Not cross combing to the other frame yet.
Should I leave the plastic there or remove it (& potentially break up their comb) and let them continue as a foundationless frame?

Hi Jason,
Welcome to the forum.
I would be removing their own comb before they waste too much energy building it. It will be too far off centre to be used and your frames will become a nightmare to work with.
Did you pre-wax the plastic foundation? Bees will almost never build directly onto the plastic without a coating of wax.
If it was me I would remove that comb that they are building along side, melt it then paint it onto the plastic foundation.

Thanks Tim
That makes sense.
I didn’t pre-wax the foundations.
I’ll either do what you suggest or maybe better just replace with a wax foundation which I’ve since purchased.
Thanks
Jason

1 Like

Personally I haven’t had a lot of luck with plastic foundation but others love it.
You most likely already know this but you will need to wire your frames before adding the wax foundation.
By the way. It’s great that you are addressing this issue before it creates a mess to sort out.

From my local beekeepers cooperative store, I always order double-waxed black plastic foundation and use a wooden frame to insert it in…don’t know if you can get that product in Australia. The bees love that combination and I’ve have never had an issue of wonky comb buildout. And I would do as TimG suggests…somehow get those frames coated with wax. If you don’t coat them with wax, chances are they will continue building the same undesireable pattern.

1 Like